Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Curtains! Bins! Floors! WFH! Oh My!

I think I have two curtains in my whole house, and one of them covers the door in the studio. I don't need folks peeking into my house, so I put a curtain there.

Those red things are tomato pincushions. The fabric is appropriate, except when I take a picture of anything on my design wall the curtain is distracting, so I have to crop it out. I thought I would make a curtain that was light, creamy and would disappear. I actually did some shopping online, but never got very far. 

In my cleaning I found this, a curtain I had used in the last place I lived. I thought it might work, so I hung it up, and OMG I thought it was the ugliest, plainest, most boring thing I had ever seen. So I took it down and looked over at my stash. CLEARLY I didn't want beige or cream, but I also didn't want anything really really busy.

This is part of a line of fabric I fell in love with, and bought lots of. This is why I generally do not buy fabric I fall in love with. Because I never cut into it and it ends up being a waste of money. I might have had some vague plans for this but they never came to fruition. I think this will make a perfect curtain for the door. It will give me some privacy and it isn't too busy.  Over the next few days or so, I will make the curtain. You know, eventually.


In yesterday's post, you may have noticed that the floor in front of the fabric bookshelf was clear of piles of fabric.

That is because I made an Executive Decision. I decided that it would take me WAY TOO LONG to sort through all that stuff and that I would lose my mind and my patience before I got to the end of it. Most of it is too big for the scrap bins, and too small to fold properly and store in the shelves above.

The bin on the top is full of all the leftover striped triangles from the Zebra quilts, along with all the scraps and strips from making them. The bin in the bottom is full of all the bits that were lying on the floor and cluttering up my cutting table. Now that it has been confined to one bin, I can sit down some day and sort through it and decide if it is worth keeping or not.

The big bin on the top of the bookshelf is all the leftover backing fabric from the quilts I have had quilted. (Yes, I am well aware that is not the best place for it, but storage is at a premium in this house, so this is where it will stay.) That stuff is long pieces of odd sizes that are hard to fold. There's all kinds of good stuff up there.


I got home last night and washed the last two windows, and the shelf, and then cleared the room of everything I could. I even moved the kitty condo. I got everything up off the floor, and let the Roomba (the REAL Roomba) do its thing. Then I put everything back.

NOW, it's clean. I have some backing fabrics I have to iron and get ready for their quilts. I have some other fabric that was draped over an armchair in my living room that needs to get ironed and put away properly. I have to organize the fabric in the bookshelf stash. I have a few other smallish things to do, but now I have room to do them and I won't feel angry or irritated every time I walk into the studio.

In other words, I can relax. I will give you the full tour tomorrow.

Thank you JustGail for complimenting me on showing my messy studio. Except I didn't. I did a lot of picking up and putting away before I took that before picture. It was much worse, and I was very embarrassed.

But I just had to prioritize. I had had readers begging for the Zebra tutorial, and I had some nagging issues I had to resolve before I could write it.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of negative reviews my tutes have received, and those are mostly because they did not read the description that said "these are not paper pieced." It's very important to me that whoever buys one of my tutes has all the information they need to make whatever I am teaching successfully. It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of work, and I had to keep figuring out how to get those great big striped triangles to fit together perfectly no matter who made them. So it was work on figuring that out, and the hell with the way the studio looked. Now that the studio is clean I can move on.

Note I did not say "back to normal." "Normal" for my studio would be somewhat messy, indicating creative work is being done.


One final note. I have been WFH - working from home - since mid March. I learned today I will be continuing to do so for at least another couple of months. In the CEO's words to me in an email I received a few hours ago "...we are being super careful and cautious about looking at everyone individually - health risk wise, extended family situation, particular role you are playing - and creating very tailored solutions on how we run the business and attempt to keep everyone safe. Sounds simple, but clearly not easy. But well worth it, it is the only way to do it."

And folks ask me why I have stayed with this company more than 30 years.



12 comments:

Nancy J said...

Keeping safe is so important. I thought I had a mess,but yours might just pop mine at the shelves. Love those before and after shots.

Dorothy said...

I moved into my little house 16 years ago. I HATE curtains, drapes, blinds etc. To me they are all dust collectors. So I went to the local car painting company and bought the thinnest "racing tape" tape. Took it home and proceeded to make quilt block designs on my windows Then spray painted with "frost", removed the tapes, and whoopee I had quit blocks on my windows, No one can see in, but lots of natural light comes in through the "frosted" windows. I did this to bedroom, kitchen, and sewing room windows. All other windows have hanging "stained glass" windows in front of "real" windows, which creates a whole new atmosphere.

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

I too couldn't be bothered with curtains. If I have to I go the easy route with premade sheers on spring rods. My husband and I have very different tastes when it comes to curtains. He seems to think they should be like what his mother uses. Sets that come with valances and panels. Usually some cheap looking things like coffee cups or what have you on them from big box stores. Always in terrible colors. I give in. I would rather spend my time sewing. Good job on your studio Lynne, you make good use of the space you have.

Ruth said...

I agree that the tomato pincushion fabric was way too busy! Kinda draws the eye towards that door... I love the pink slab fabric on your design wall right now. I didn't know that roomba does carpet. Thank you for showing us so much fabric! And how to "bin it up!"

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Your studio looks very inviting, just waiting for you to come in there and work on your next project. I really have to laugh though. I really did a great job cleaning up my little studio a couple of weeks ago..............yep I went in there and started working on a scrap project..............yep there is fabric everywhere!!!! When you are creative and on a roll with a project is not the time to stop what you are doing and clean up as you go.............not gonna happen.
I will be looking forward to your studio tour.
And by the way I am intrigued by whatever you have on your design wall the deep fushia colored fabrics. I saw those in the photo where you were showing your curtain choices.

stitchinpenny said...

I have a warning about your tweens bins. They fill up fast and then you have to do something with them. It is easier for me to go through them when doing things that can live with small random pieces. BTW I am on my fifth quilt out of the tweens bin because I refuse to throw away or give away special fabrics.

Sandra said...

I love watching you clean your quilt room! I do have a suggestion. I have a shelving unit that looks just like yours for my fabrics. I went to Lowe’s and bought four more shelves, ready-made, and added to the shelving unit. Now my foot high piles of nicely folded fabrics are only 6 to 8 inches high and much easier to get out a specific fabric fabric without pulling a whole big pile down on top of itself. Just a thought!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratulations of persevering through all the cleanup. It is easy to give up. I can't imagine for working for a company that cares so much about its employees.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, a smart, caring and amazing company!! I look around and it's like people up and put their heads in the sand about the virus....crowds, no masks.... I too will be WFH for quite a while longer!

Nancy said...

Your room looks great and I am impressed that you wash your windows every other year. I have one little hint for fabric shelves. Put the lights on the bottom. It is hard to see the darks down low. I learned that when I was working as a display designer at the Gift Market (the Minneapolis Mart). Many Many years ago. We used the entire 14 foot high walls and the dark items when at eye height and the lighter ones down low or up high.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Funny thing about the new curtain fabric - it's by the same designer that created the tomato pincushions! I like the new one a lot.

Karen Ritter said...

What a great studio! Thanks for sharing. Your photos have provided ideas to use in my redesign of my sewing space.