Thursday, June 18, 2020

Window Solution

This is the door without the curtain. Yes it is nice to see outside and all, but this door is at the back of my house. It's kind of secluded back there, and as such it is somewhat a security hazard, so I don't want a wide open view into my house.

DOROTHY! OMG, you were right on the money, except I don't want to permanently block the view, so I decided to use some of that window film you can get at the hardware store. I have some on the window in my dining room so I don't have to look out on the trash (or my neighbor mowing the lawn shirtless with his beer gut hanging over his belt.)

It was the perfect solution for the back door. I went online, ordered the stuff (one roll = 15USD) and drove to the hardware store after work to pick it up. After dinner (and btw, Melissa Clark's Dinner is worth every cent.) I went into the studio and washed the windows on the door and measured the lights.

First one, OK, second and third one ok too. I decided I wanted the pattern on the film to continue pane to pane so I had to pay attention to how I cut it.


Of course I cut the second row way too big, which meant I didn't have enough for the top row. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

But I had used a more plain film to cover one of the skylights in my house, so I used that for the top row. Here's what it looks like from outside. It's OK. I'll have to see it in daylight to see how much it bugs me, because if I rip a quilt apart because I don't like the way it looks, there's no way this is staying like it is now.

And I have to say it's kind of plain. There are some with colors, so I'll have to look around.


9 comments:

Dee W said...

Great idea with the film, but colored film might cast a colored light into your studio.

Rebecca said...

Your right! It is a great fix for that door.
What if you put the plain film in the 4 corners and the vines in the centers?

Colored film might not work for the same reason the curtains where an issue but I used film that was was textured and creates a bit of rainbow effect with the light comes thru.

Love to watch you work and play :)

The Selvage Fairy said...

I just ordered some clear UV filter for my front window, and I notice that Amazon has a zillion varieties of them.

Dora said...

Eek, this door needs a key-lock deadbolt! Way more concerning than a window covering.

Dora

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Brilliant solution! (I almost spit out my tea when I read the comment about the shirtless neighbor's beer-gut!) ;)

Quilty Chaos said...

Your door might not be the same, but when I put that film on my new door I was able to unscrew the faux mullion piece and apply it to the single pane of glass behind it. Mine has the same holes in the inside trim like yours, but I can't see if that's all one piece or not. It might interfere with matching a pattern, but it went on easy.

Mari said...

I'm going to scho that you can take those mullions out, but also, you can get glass "frosting" for windows that you spray on like spray paint. In fact, they sell it at the big hardware stores with their spray paint. It's called Frosted Glass and is less than $5. We used it on the windows near our front door. Works great!

Quiltdivajulie said...

We used film like this on the small window at the side of our master bathroom. We bought one that has iridescence in it, tiny gridded segments, and a lovely result when the sun shines through it each morning. Almost like stained glass but not nearly as intense. ( I bet you change yours . . . I suspect that plain is gonna bug you.)

QuiltGranma said...

I would switch a bottom corner with the center top of your film, and that would suit me.