Friday, June 19, 2020

The Studio Tour

Standing in front of the door with the curtain and looking back into the studio, this is the view. The design wall is to the immediate left, then the stash and the small bookcases, then my ironing table. Across to the far right is my large cutting table. It is a drafting table and I use it at an angle. It is much easier on my back to cut at an angle, and since I am five feet tall, this is a big deal. Then there is the table with my sewing machine, then the small cutting table, and you can see the comfy chair in the lower right of the photo.

Standing at the other end of the room in the doorway looking back, this is the room. The big windows are on the left.

I  bought a second hand chair only to discover it was a recliner. TOTAL WIN! It is great to have a very comforable chair in the studio. I sit in that chair to study what's on the design wall.  You can see Millie's kitty condo in the corner.

From just behind the big chair, you can see the design wall, my fabric stash, the bookcases with books and tools and the TV and the Traveling Millies, my ironing table and the inspiration wall above it. And you can also see the long shelf at the top of the room on the left. It stores things I need to keep, but don't need handy.

From Millie's kitty condo in the corner this is the long low shelf that runs the length of the room under the windows. There are a couple of kitty quilts for Millie. It's where I keep a box of kleenex near my sewing machine and my little bin of bobbins, both within arm's reach.

I keep the most used rulers at arm's reach, on the shelf near the big cutting table.

To the side of the sewing table, between two windows, are some of my most commonly used rulers. When I am not cutting strips, the 4-1/2" x 12-1/2" ruler is always in use, as is the 2-1/2" x 6" ruler. I have a few of those. They were cheap and to rationalize the shipping costs when I bought (one) I decided to get four or five. It made sense at the time.

Between the last two windows hang my specialty rulers. I don't buy a tool unless I have a plan to use it, so I don't have every cutting ruler under the sun. The curved wooden dressmaker's ruler belonged to my grandmother. ('Nuff said!)

I store my long metal rulers near the ironing table. I use them mostly when I am preparing backings.

A studio is more than a collection of tools and materials. I want to have things I love around me, and here are some of them.


When I stand at my cutting table I can see this wall. It's nice to have the memory of a hug on my son's wedding day. That is also him when he was 14 in that photo to the right. The blue ribbon was given to me by my best pal, Julie.

The wall behind the ironing table is out of my reach to store anything there, so I use it as a wall of encouragement. I have thank you notes from people who received my quilts and loved them. I have photos of loved ones. I have letters from friends, I have drawings from my granddaughter and postcards of my favorite paintings.

One exception is a magnetic knife rack that I use to store scissors and my binding tape tools.

When your kid leaves you a note like the one above the clock, you keep it. I have no idea what I did to earn that compliment, but I love seeing it every day.

I bought this little painting when I was in Colorado three years ago. It was hanging about three feet above my head, so it wasn't until I paid for it and had it in my hand that I realized it had a barn in it. I'm pretty sure I heard Julie laughing all the way in Tennessee when I sent her the picture. The little stuffed owl above it is a pincushion that is far too cute to be stabbed with pins!

So that's pretty much it. My favorite room.

11 comments:

Ruth said...

What a beautiful room. The little owl is so sweet. Your son's "awesomeness note" is fun! (and so is the p.s.)It all looks so cozy and friendly. Thank you for sharing your favorite place with us!

Susan R said...

Lynn...I get it. Each and every nook and cranny I get. Thank you for taking me (and your cyber friends) on a tour of your "nest".

Susan in So. Cal

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, the studio/home looks inviting to just create away. It looks great all cleaned up and everything in its place.

POLLYS POCKETS said...

Thank you for the tour, you accomplished a lot it seems like only a week???? Thank you also for the explanation as to why you have what where...I am rethinking my space now, you have many good ideas of a functioning work space. I am wondering about the two pots under your specialty ruler wall, do you have hope for growth there or are they dormant??? I love,love your magnetic bar for scissors ect... was that an Ikea or hardware store find? I love your sons note, I have a picture my then 4 year old granddaughter who drew of me, mustache and all! We are lucky to be noticed by these chilies...!

Dusty Huxford said...

Thanks for the wonderful tour. When can I hire you to come design my studio. LOL it’s wonderful to see how you arranged everything and gives us ideas of how to make our space work better. Appreciate your sharing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Terrific post - great explanations - a happy place indeed.

Robby said...

What a well thought out space! And you've given me two brilliant things I can use. I have an old drafting table in the basement that has a new purpose in life for this short gal. I have, and love, a knife rack in my kitchen. Rounding up your scissors on one it a clever way to keep them hand and safe. Thanks for taking the time to take us on a tour.

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely place you have there to create in!

Sandy said...

I love your studio! So warm and inviting. The love that you create with your quilts certainly shows in your studio.

Brown Family said...

I work Messy, too! It does me good to take a day or so and clean, put everything in its place! I know it will not last long, but It makes me feel more productive!

O'Quilts said...

Wow...wonderful job..lovely space.and surprises too...as from your pictures I had thought you way tall..It was so much fun to see your studio. Thank you