Saturday, January 30, 2021

Larkspur - The Pink Barn

 

I finally picked up the Pink Barn from Janet-Lee Santeusanio, my fabulous long-arm quilter. For this I told Janet-Lee I wanted it special, and to go all out. I am a firm believer that when you are working with an artist who knows what the hell she is doing, that you let her use her skills. JL and I have a standard set of instructions: She has my permission to quilt anything I give her differently than what she and I originally chose if she thinks there is a better solution. 

JL quilted the stripes in the barn.

She outlined the trim in the windows, and she carried the vertical quilting lines in the body of the barn itself. She also quilted the diagonal lines of the barn doors. This is the way real barn doors are often made here in NH.

Such glorious details!

What I just love about it is how barn-y it is. It is quilted like a barn, not a house or a decorative building. Now JL lives down the street from the inspiration barn (shown below) so she knows what it looks like. I am like, beyond thrilled with it, and now have to figure out what to use as a binding for my barn wall hanging, which I have decided to call "Larkspur."

This is the inspiration barn.

11 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Fantastic!

Diane Koch said...

Oh, wow, that is fantastic.

MissPat said...

Wow, very cool (I know that phrase show my age). The matchstick quilting makes the barn look like it's made of corduroy. And the door are very authentic looking.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love her sky treatment - the barn itself is perfect - and you are right about the detail work. Superb! (love the name, too)

Nancy J said...

Wow, the more I look, the more intricate detail I see. This comes to life with those lines and so much more, absolutely amazing.

Rebecca said...

Like they all said....Wow.

Ann said...

Congratulations on a wonderful quilt and excellent quilting by JL. Aren't you lucky to have her burnish your beauties! Enjoy choosing the binding.

Sewgirl said...

It is a beautiful piece of art. Well done on both of your parts! Have you considered just facing it?

Linda Swanekamp said...

Super barn and finish! Bravo to you and the quilter!

Janet-Lee Santeusanio said...

Thank you. Lynne's quilts are wonderful to work with. The fabulous fabrics and use of color give excellent quilting inspiration.

QuiltGranma said...

your barn is smiling, I love it!