Monday, March 23, 2020

In the Sewing Studio

Making the blocks for this quilt is easier than choosing the fabrics. I knew I wanted bright fabrics, but for each color, I needed two prints. Some of them had to be busy and exciting, and some of them needed to be not busy and exciting. Since I had decided to make this quilt a brights and whites, I would be using more lights than I had planned. That meant I had to use the ones I did have in a smart way, and I'd have to pay attention to not placing the same print to close to itself.

 I also decided to dump the asymmetrical arrangement of the blocks, so I had to make more of them.

I added a some busy light fabrics to the quilt, like these cats in the yellow block.

I had removed the blocks with the black, but I liked the reds, so I put them back. I also liked the orange swirls, and I brought those back as well.


At the end of the weekend, I had made enough blocks to fill the basic space. The layout of the blocks isn't final, and I need to make blocks to fill in the edges. I like the colors, and I think this is a good summery quilt. It's also an example of what else can be done with the zebra blocks.

AND OH LOOK! If you scroll up and down it does an optical illusion thing.

Sorry Allison.


4 comments:

Judy Cloe said...

When I saw the last photo, it reminded me of the Swedish candy sticks we saw in Sweden. Did you know candy canes and candy sticks were first made in Sweden? Anyway, they come in many flavors and colors besides red and white. And, I loved the optical illusion thing. Fun.

Ruth said...

Aw, I see the cat and mouse triangle is upside down. My husband likes the "chromatically themed" way you are setting these up.
I like the light and busy prints best - they keep the eye moving. So much fun to check in and see what you have done!

Ann said...

It's always a treat to see how your choose your fabrics.

Susie Q said...

like that optical illusion thing a lot!!