Sunday, March 22, 2020

By George, I Think I've Got It!

Saturday morning I made a couple more blocks and put them up on the design wall. This was OK, but it just didn't sing. Some blocks just looked too dark and sucked up all the light. I sent this picture to Julie. I told her I thought the design was ok, but I wondered if the colors should be analogous, like blue and green or pink and orange or yellow and green. I thought it would be a great boy's quilt with reds and blues and creams and whites. Julie said to go for it.

Problem was, I didn't want to make a red, white and blue quilt (been there, done that three times.)

So I took everything off the wall that wasn't working, and spent the next three hours making blocks.

 Although I love the oranges, that block doesn't work, so it has to go, but otherwise I'm good with it. It isn't perfect, but I have a lot to do yet. I think this would make a great summer quilt. Bright colors with whites/creams. Very vibrant and happy.

 Here are an orange and pinkish pair (actually they are quartets.) As you can see I'm getting a bit looser in how I interpret matches.

Here's a purple and yellow set. One of the things I decided was to use fairly light lights.

One of the things I realized right away was that if I was going to keep the block with the llamas and the dinos, then I had to have a few more blocks with busy lights in the quilt, so that is an idea I will pursue and there are already some strips cut using that idea.

Allison, you've got to turn away now...

This is the layout of this arrangement. Lots of possibilities here.




3 comments:

Nancy J said...

Phew, do not scroll down quickly, as the B&W will wriggle furiously.... Love your way of choosing the strips and colours.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Looser is better -- have fun with the pairings!

Judy P. said...

I love this arrangement. It's almost unbelievable how many things you are able to do with this block. Love watching you work.