Friday, March 20, 2020

Matchmaking

Here's another "matchy" set. I like these. It's funny, to put these together. It's easier, and I think more successful, if you don't think about them too much. They are supposed to resemble each other, but only sort of.

I've got a lot of blue fabric on order to make the sample quilt I will use in writing the Zebras tutorial (I'm gonna make a blue Jealousy quilt) and in the meantime, I'm going to use my stash to work on the Oh So Modern variation. And if I told you that before, I'm sorry. It's kinda been a very stressful week, y'know?

The third one down is too dark. Part of the reasons why I get stuck is sometimes a good option is in another stack being matched with something else. I have no objection to repeating a fabric, but it's more fun (OK, better bragging rights) to say that in a quilt like this each fabric is used only once. That is not a requirement in this quilt. At any rate, I won't sew this up until I'm sure, and right now I am not.

i like these four, but I am a bit concerned they are WAY TOO MUCH together. If this busy quartet is the busiest one in the quilt it will stick out like a sore thumb, and I don't want that. I want all these fabrics to play in harmony.

Please note I am not asking for your opinions or suggestions. I'm just sharing what I see. I'm still feeling my way around. Nothing is carved in stone yet.

These are looking good.

Some of these are a bit risky, and some are not. It's going to be fun working this out.



I wrote about which thread I use here. Last year I bought some Master Piece thread by Superior Thread at a quilt show, and I am just now getting to try it out.


Last week I was reading Mrs Goodneedle and she showed a new seam ripper. I thought it was so spiffy I went to the vendor site, and when I found out they were three bucks each, I ordered four. (The fourth is already in my travel kit.) It is called a Razor Ripper.

I might be a seam ripper junkie.



8 comments:

Nancy J said...

Those seam rippers, with my limited eyesight I though at first they might be plastic knives!!! Love your fabrics, the way you select, dispense, change again and make a final selection, your eyes are the best at all of this.

Quayquilter said...

Thank you for these posts on fabric choices. It's fascinating and mysterious to see how others go abut this.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I ordered the razor ripper, too - thanks, Debbie!

Mary Ellen said...

All your fabrics are wonderful. You have a good eye for choosing just the right ones. I know this will be great!

Rebecca said...

One of the reasons I enjoy your blog is how and why you work/play with color. Even if you are not asking our/my opinion...lol
This new head game is a lot of fun and I hope sticks with me as I play in my stash

Ann said...

I tried Masterpiece last year and purchased three spools. It's become my favorite although I have some old stuff to use up, too. I'll be interested to read your opinion. Thanks for the information about Razor Rippers. I'd never heard of them but will order some.
Years ago I traded blocks for a scrap quilt and one block had juvenile fabric. All the others were gorgeous florals or "sit back" tone on tones. That one stuck out madly so I understand how important it can be to blend the theme of your fabrics. Thanks for sharing the process photos. Always a good way to help others.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Good to see you working. Right now I use PremoSoft from Filtec for piecing and Glide for quilting as I found they work the way I want. Both are made in PA.

Joan said...

Hello from Bucklebee! I am so pleased that you and your readers have discovered our razor Rippers. Thank you so much for mentioning them in your post. Bucklebee Toolbox specializes in unique and unusual tools that I use in my workroom every day, and share with sewers and quilters at quilt shows. Please drop by and visit at Bucklebeebags.com any time! --Joan