Thursday, March 19, 2020

Bobbin Along...

Here are another pair of pairs that look a lot alike, but are different.

Here is another set.

   My bobbins are wound and ready to go.

Ann, I use this medium gray thread for all my piecing. I find it disappears equally well on all colors.  Some quilters use beige, but I think gray is a better choice. It isn't as "bright." The only time I wind a bobbin with another color is when I am sewing the binding on a quilt. And then I don't even fill it all the way.

This is what those fabrics look like as triangles next to each other. I am happy with these combinations.

I pulled out some of my other leftover triangles so I could try to figure out what I want this quilt to look like. The other one has a kind of magic about it that is lovely and I want to figure out what that is so I can recreate the magic. I think I know, but I have to make more blocks before I can know for sure.

Oh gee, where have I heard THAT before?
              

7 comments:

Nancy J said...

I usually use Gutterman #722, a light beige/grey, but will look for a gree, it might blend in even better. Love those teals with the contrast.

Nancy J said...

Gree should be grey, how did that sneak through.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such wonderful fabrics and pairing! I always enjoy looking at the fruits of your labor.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Funny how the spots on those butterflies look like eyes watching me!

Kiwiquilter said...

I predominately use grey too. Is there supposed to be a link to the thread you use in your blog? I’d love to know which brand and weight you prefer.
Many thanks,

Hubblebird said...

I’ve just finished the last ‘whole’ hexie block on my quilt and will start the half and quarter blocks to finish it off tomorrow. But I was not nearly as diligent as you in choosing fabrics and am loathe to do any more whole blocks. When I put them together I am mindful of how much time you take to get things just right and may well have to go back to the drawing board in terms of getting colour and placement just so. You are so inspirational that I may well have to bite the bullet and press on with a few more whole blocks that are better chosen. Oh well. It’s taken two years to get this far .... what’s a few more in the end? Love your work and talk through the process which you share with us.

Ann said...

I forget you don't quilt, too. I use a color that matches my sewing if it's still in the bobbin then switch to grey. But return to colors when quilting. I agree with you that grey is the best for piecing. Hopefully you've convinced others to the Grey Side. ;-)