Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Forecast Gone Wrong

It was supposed to be 2 to 4 inches.

ROFLMAO.

Until I had to shovel it.

Oh well. It'll melt.


About yesterday's post.

Yes Ruth, I saw those upside down kitties too.  Dammit. But they are staying, because a couch quilt doesn't have an UP or a DOWN. They may get shifted down to the third row, however.

And for those of you who noticed the pale yellow beehive fabric looked like a hole in the middle of the quilt, good for you. I saw it too. That block will be replaced.

Thank you Ann, and others, for your compliments. I don't have any trouble with color, and I choose fabrics without much conscious thought. You may all hate me, but Color Sense cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't. I can show you what I do, and explain why I do it, and knowledge of so-called color theory will help, but it isn't the same.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't make beautiful quilts. Years ago my sister was making a scrap quilt. She showed me, "Is this OK?" she asked. "I don't know what I am doing."

"Maybe not," I told her, "but what you are doing is lovely, keep doing it. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it." Now she probably won't admit she still doesn't know, but she trusts her instincts, and so should you. That and being willing to change what isn't working, will help you in the long run.

5 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Holey Moley! What a dump of snow! I am glad we did not get it, just rain. I think people can be helped to gain a color sense, the same way you can learn to read music. Reading music doesn't make you a musician, but you know when something is off and appreciate when it is on. I was an art teacher, and I loved the moments when someone "got it" and was able to understand colors working. They may never be an artist, but were able to enjoy color. I have no musical ability, although I can read notes.

stitchinpenny said...

I agree color sense can't be taught. I have none so I get my daughters to pick fabrics fo important quilts!

Clarelou said...

Everyone sees colour differently so what might constitute “colour sense” to one person might not make “colour sense” to another!

Ann said...

Wet snow, ugh. But is should melt fast. Stay safe.

Ruth said...

That looks like 5-6"!! I remember New Hampshire snow. One year(we spent 5 years there)all we got was powder. Every snowstorm the kids would go out and see if it would pack so they could build snowmen and snow sculptures (a toilet once appeared on the front lawn), but that winter was just a bit too dry.
Well, I mentioned the cat and mouse direction but I'm with you, I don't really care because in the end a quilt gets moved all over and something ought to be upside down so now and then it will be right side up.