Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Why I Love You!

 OH! I love answering questions!

FOUR YEARS AGO... I was working on the first of the Zebra quilts. The block on the right is 18" square (with seam allowances, 18-1/2"). At the time, someone asked me if I could make them smaller, so the block on the left is made with 2-1/2" strips and sews up to be 16" square. Doesn't look like a tremendous difference, but...

When you put it next to the others, there is a BIG difference. What I really liked then, and still like now, is the BIG graphic quality of this. Meaning it is very "design-y" (as one of my college classmates one said of something big and bold.)

When Karen asked yesterday if I could make the blocks of the RWB quilt smaller to be more efficient, the answer is both yes and no. Yes, because, yes you probably COULD get two (smaller) blocks where I can only get one of the larger ones. But it would only be EFFICIENT if you USED the leftover blocks to make something.

Ultimately I did not choose to go with smaller blocks, and part of that was how big the finished quilt would be. The other part was I loved the BIG IMPACT the scale of the diamonds provided.


My Zebra quilts are made basically three big 18" blocks across by four down. Before adding a border, they are in the neighborhood of 54" x 72". If you made the blocks smaller, even 2", then this layout becomes 48" x 64". Not, in my book, big enough to be a real quilt. A quilt that size will NOT cover me up, and a too small quilt is kinda dumb. (Ever wonder why I don't make "lap quilts?" Because where I live in New England it gets COLD, and if I want a quilt to keep me warm, warming up half my body ain't gonna do it.)

To make that quilt BIGGER, you would have to add an additional 16 inches. So now you have 64" across, but to balance the design, you also have to add 16 to the height, and that makes 80 inches. Now you're getting into a quilt size that begins to be unwieldy. I mean, if somebody you're making a quilt for is over six feet tall, and is "big" then a quilt like this might be OK, but to me that's just too big.

If you only made five vertical diamonds across (the one above is six) then you can get a quilt 56" wide, but the design above would have three and a half diamonds across, and that's just dumb. 

It could work for a Ribbons quilt, like this one, because one more (or less) vertical row won't affect the design right to left, but to add another 16" vertically would make a quilt 56" x 80" and to me that's just stupider. The top of a queen sized bed is 60" x 80". Why make something that won't cover that? And for the Ribbons quilt, I'm not sure the lovely wiggle you see above would work with another row below it. And you'd have half green triangles instead of whole ones, and that might look weird.

Bottom line: Scale matters.

I DID, however, figure out how to make the quilt more efficient. Make TWO! I can't be the only quilter who has ever been asked to make TWO quilts that are the same. Or damn close. With not a lot more fabric, and a bit more time (and very clear directions) "you" (or somebody) could make two quilts at the same time. 

3 comments:

Juliana said...

Your green ribbon quilt is my favorite so far of the ones you have shown with this pattern. Such an interesting post today.

Karen said...

OK! Thanks for a thorough answer.

Maybe it's not intuitive, but I was thinking to make the smaller version for testing the design possibilities. I see that it would have to be an entire quilt at a smaller scale - so two quilts as you suggest! (Do bold quilts scare babies? NO, but maybe they scare the rest of the family. I'm definitely in favor of boldness. Maybe that's why I follow your blog...)

The quest for efficiency: now I would be buying enough fabric for a test quilt and also for the big bold one. Assuming that some of those fabrics just don't want to be in the quilt together, more waste...
Well, scrap!
Karen
Point taken; scale matters, and I live in WA-the-state, so warmth matters too.

Karen said...

Thanks for answering my question! (I love you too!) Scale is the part I hadn't considered; maybe the solution is a quilt & a half - baby quilt to scare the family, if not the baby.
This still doesn't solve my intent to design on a smaller scale, as you say. It's not efficient to buy the fabric for the scaled-down version, and then go back for more fabric after design decisions are made.
Hmm. It's hard having too much fabric already but never what I need or WANT. But thanks for inspiring me to buy more fabric - I think!

Karen in WA-state where we sometimes struggle to stay warm