Monday, May 22, 2023

Options, Options, Options!

 

I thought I would finish this quilt on Saturday. I had like three triangles to make.

WELL THAT WAS WRONG... 

I tried to distribute the prints, and make it look balanced. I did NOT finish on Saturday. This was where I was on Saturday night. I got across the room and squinted and thought, hmmm, it looks kinda grayish, from where the red and blue blend in your eye.

NOT exactly what I had in mind. 

And then I thought, well, what if I made the diamonds in one color? So I swapped each pair of triangles.

I liked it better already, but - AGAIN - I had to tinker with the fabrics to make each diamond cohesive. After I remade a half dozen triangles, I had this.

But when I went across the room and looked, I thought, "Damn, that's a lot of RED." What's funny is there is EXACTLY the same number of red triangles and blue triangles.

SO NATURALLY I had to flip the triangles again...

And I like it better.

I have to tinker yet again, and I'll do that later because my brain is already fried.

These are the leftover pieces from cutting my triangles and the triangles I decided to replace to make the quilt better looking.

This is a spectacularly inefficient block to make. Because of the way this pattern is, the leftovers from the two striped triangles you make for this quilt CANNOT be transformed into each other. So there is a lot of waste. When I started to make this quilt I thought I would update the Zebra tutorial with it, but it is so fussy and creates so much waste that I have decided against it. 

But I think it's going to be a pretty terrific quilt.

2 comments:

Rootie said...

Thanks for the re-organization of the triangles; my eyes were jumping all over the place and now they're happy. Ruth Bailey

Karen said...

I like this set of changes as a lesson in warm and cool values.
I also like the final version.
Your point about waste is well taken. Would you suggest making a smaller version (smaller components) as a way to play and learn without a huge amount of waste? I love the Zebra quilts.
Karen