Saturday, March 2, 2019

Scale

No, not the kind you weigh things on.

The block on the right is part of the new quilt, Parade of Zebras. It's 18" square, which is BIG. The block on the left is 16" square.

Because these blocks are so big, the design is in-your-face. The Parade of Zebras, as the quilt is now with four rows of 3 blocks, will be 54" x 72". For many of you that's a nice size, but when you live where winter is defined by below freezing temperatures for a couple of months straight, a lap quilt just doesn't cut it. If you're going to zonk out on the couch, you want to cover yourself up from chin to toes. At least I do. So this quilt, big as it is, will likely have a border about 3" all the way around.


But I got to wondering (you know me; that shouldn't be a surprise). WHAT IF... I cut the strips 2-1/2" wide and made the block 16 inches instead of 18.  For one thing, I'd need four across instead of 3, so 16 x 4 = 64" across and 5 rows, so 16 x 5 = 80". That's plenty big, but I am not sure it would have the same impact as the bigger blocks. So I had to make one to find out for sure.


Sure,  the smaller blocks would be easier to make. The big blocks are made with 2-3/4" strips. WHO has a ruler that measures 2-3/4" x 24"?

Nobody, that's who. When I cut the strips for this I taped a 3/4" plexiglass ruler to a 2" one with blue painter's tape. Then I had to make a template (shudder) that was a long right triangle 9" x 18" and I had to add seam allowances (the requisite 1/4") and cut it out of chipboard and hope I did it right. The template issue would still be a problem with the littler block. And making these blocks, I did have trouble with cutting the long triangles and getting them to "fit" properly. I mean, with a homemade template I don't have the little chopped off tips we all take for granted when we sew stuff like this together, which makes a hell of a difference when trying to get seven seams lined up.

Looking it on the design wall with the others gives me my answer. I like the bigger blocks and the attendant WOW factor. And I think I've figured out the template thing.

Which is good, because a few more golden yellow fabrics are flying across the country on their way to my house as you read this. The Golden Zebras Quilt won't be as in your face as this one, mostly because I'll be working with all yellows and they won't necessarily have a ton of contrast. (Allison will thank me.)

Except I am trying to figure out how I am going to add a little something unexpected to this one. Because you know me, contrast is my middle name.


5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I see taking your tablet with photos of this top to QT to choose a border - or the whole sewn-together top. Too bad you don't have a black and white zebra print in your stash . . .

starsthatblaze said...

I think you mis-spoke. We all have rulers that measure 2 3/4". You probably meant to indicate the diagonal length of the cut.

Debby Gorman said...

Do you have a Creative Grids Stripology Ruler? It does have a 2 3/4 cutting that allows you to make 6 or 8 cuts at a time without moving your ruler. I highly recommend the ruler, it’s the one I use the most.

Allison said...

Just waiting until I can stop squinting my eyes shut when I get to your posts!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Golden Zebras!! Love the name :) It will be fun watching the yellow quilt develop as always.