Monday, March 6, 2023

How Many?

 

I made four small right facing birds on Saturday. I put them up on the design wall (above) and then counted them. There are 80. I texted Julie.

"Have you updated your lifetime total lately," she texted back?

Um, I've actually never counted, I texted back. I guess I should.

Several hours later I had a pretty good number. I texted Julie, My best count is 495. Then I thought for a. minute. So, OK. Tomorrow I'll make five birds any color I want so I can say I've made 500.

"Well, duh," Julie texted back, "Of course you will."

Thing is though, I was so damned tired, I went to bed early. 8:45 early.

I woke up at 7:30 on Sunday, feeling much better. I got up, took my Fosomax and then started making my lunches for the week. Then I had breakfast, cleaned up and went into the studio ready to make more birds.

It didn't take me long to choose fabrics for five birds. Except I didn't have any leg panels for the "standard" bird. So I made four of those. 

The wing fabric on bird 496 was a scrap from the backing of the Defying Gravity quilt. The breast fabric was from the scrap bins. The beak was from the Pink Panther quilt.

Bird 497 was made from scraps from the Holiday Boxes quilt, and the backing of the first Scrap Slab Triangles quit, Fruit Loops,


  

I don't remember what quilt I used the breast fabric in, but it was a scrao from something. I literally cut around the leftover bits you see above. When I tell people the birds are very scrap friendly, I am not kidding.

The sunflower fabric for bird 498 was purchased for the Allegretto quilt, the breast is from the Golden Zebras, and the beak is from the Firebird zebras quilt.

The wing from bird 499 is from the Dinosaur quilt I made for my granddaughter. The breast fabric is from my stash and the beak fabric is from some fabric I bought last year that I haven't done anything with yet.

But by that time I was tired and hungry, so I stopped to have dinner, clean up the kitchen and write this post.

I was so pretty excited to make birds that were NOT PINK!!



If you want to make these birds, you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop, It's an instant download so you can't started right away.

4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great colors in the birds. Glad your totals reach a milestone. Had terrible side effects from fosamax and stopped it.

Becky said...

Isn't it interesting that we can identify the quilts we made with our fabric scraps? It's great to have birds to remember them. Love all the birds!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I especially love the subtle but striking green bird and, of course, I LOVE the purple and green bird (that wing is fabulous).

ebwhite said...

So when will bird "500" aqppear?