Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Spices

 I was all ready to sit down and write a blog post about the kitchen and answer the comments from yesterday, but my brother called and we had a nice talk. So the post I had planned will have to wait because I need my sleep and it's close to bedtime.

Instead I will write about my spice collection. I already knew it was out of control, but it wasn't until I spread it all out on my dining room table that I got it.

I went through them and sorted out the ones that were duplicated and those that had expired. Herbs and spices have a relatively short shelf life.


 The shelf above contains the spices I use most regularly (on the left) and whole spices (on the right).

These are the spices that are expired and will be thrown away.

These are the rest that I will keep. Clearly this big lazy susan isn't the most efficient way to store them, but right now it gets them all in one place. Now that I know how many there are I can look for an efficient way to store them.



4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Phew, that's a lot!!! Good to have sorted out another kitchen area, you are on a roll here, the quilting might be taking a back seat for the moment.

Ma Betty said...

What about scattering the out of date spices on the garden rather than in the bin? They make lovely smells and might even ward off some creepy crawlies. Just a thought. I did it when I cleaned out my spices.

JustGail said...

I think I have about that many jars too. I did go through them a couple of years ago, but didn't do very well at tossing the old ones. I do try to buy the whole versions whenever possible, IIRC they last a bit longer than the ground versions. I need a better way to store them too. Right now plain herbs/spices are in 3 bins somewhat in alphabetical order, mixes in a drawer.

It looks like Penzey's is a site I best avoid - could be hazardous to both bank account and already full cabinets! :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad you did the edit and removed so many outdated, duplicate (or triplicate), and no longer needed spices. Feels good, I'm sure. Have fun deciding how you want to display/store the remaining jars - easy access and better visibility will surely help prevent the duplicate issues going forward. (ask me how I know ...)