Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Oh The Kitchen

 

This is my kitchen. Kinda stuffed to the gills.

I've been here almost eight years and I haven't changed anything in the kitchen. It faces north so it doesn't get any natural light, and it is always dark. The black and beige checkerboard wallpaper doesn't help.

I don't know how I found it, but I found this wallpaper and I thought it would look nice in my kitchen. So I ordered a roll to do some testing.

I tried pulling a piece of the existing wallpaper off the wall, and when it came off pretty easily, I just kept going. I decided to give some serious thought to the things that leave on my counter.

I didn't install the wallpaper, it's just taped to the wall, but I liked it a lot. I decided I should paint the cabinets, replace all the hardware, install a new countertop, and then later new flooring.

I thought I would paint the upper cabinets light and the lower cabinets dark. So I chose some samples.

Long story short, I had second thoughts. I knew that once I painted ONE brushstroke I would be committed, so when I couldn't make up my mind which light paint I wanted, I knew it was time to shelve the whole idea and WAIT.

This happened three weeks ago.

I've been doing a lot of thinking. I've decided NOT to paint the cabinets, at least not now. I've been cleaning the cabinets, and I made a decision to change the hardware.

And I also decided to take my clean out, edit and purge all the stuff that lives in my kitchen. I've been very busy. More later!





12 comments:

Nancy J said...

Your ideas sound good, new handles, same cabinets, take out the checked wallpaper, and bingo, you are almost there. After the wonderful bathroom makeover, you should find this a breeze.

Chookyblue...... said...

hmmm.......the lighter wall without the wall paper looks good..........if you want wall paper what about a lighter one......updated handles would make a difference also..........goodluck......

Charlotte M. said...

The new wallpaper is very pretty, but still dark. You might try something lighter in color. Also, in a dark kitchen under cabinet lights are very helpful, especially with your light countertops.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Best wishes to finding the right solution for YOU; sometimes that just takes time. Go with your gut, when it's the right path you'll know it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Much better to not paint the cabinets. Just really clean the wood and newer hardware will make a huge difference. Paint chips on the cabinets real easy and brushstrokes catch all the grime. Love the wall paper design. Purging makes it all lighter. Have fun with it! I love LED lights under the cabinets for more light.

JustGail said...

Thats a gorgeous wallpaper. I do like the colors you chose for if you do paint the cabinets. I'm not often in favor of doing that, but something about these cabinets makes me say go for it. It might be the orange-ish tone they have? But in the mean time, yes new hardware, some under cabinet lights, and a good declutter* would help lighten the room up. Maybe some new ceiling and track lights too? These look rather utilitarian and blah, which is definitely not how I'd describe you based on your quilts.

*not casting shade at your kitchen - I've got piles on the counter that should be sorted out and/or put away. It's SO easy to leave things on the counter that I *might* use again soon. And too much stuff in the cabinets in general.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations for thinking first and then taking action - jumping in head first here would have created an enormous mess that would make it hard to come home from work every night! Emptying out cabinets and purging takes time and energy but it is SO worth the effort. One area at a time . . . .

Cat Lover said...

Just came across your blog, I love your new bathroom! The new wallpaper you have chosen for the kitchen is pretty. Painting cabinets is difficult. A friend had the same idea and after a couple hours regretted it and ended up doing only the upper ones. New hardware makes a big difference and as others have suggested under cabinet lighting really helps.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I thought I was the only one who stored stuff on top of the refrigerator. I have too much on my counters too and a lot of it doesn't need to be there. I'm glad you decided not to paint the cabinets. It is a long and not very much fun job. Maybe you can find someone who would paint the uppers in exchange for a quilt.

Hubblebird said...

If you can afford it, having the cabinets spray painted by a kitchen makeover company gives a fantastic and hardwearing finish. My brother-in-law had this done and the result is amazing. Of course, it’s all down to personal choice and sometimes other people’s opinions aren’t welcome, but having also once had beautiful timber cabinets in a dark kitchen, I ended up going all white. It was a much less depressing area afterwards. I actually wanted to be in it instead of out of it!

Marty Stanchi said...

Hidden hinges, new hardware and lights will improve things. Love the wallpaper. just clean out one cupboard/drawer at a time and it won't seem so daunting. You had practice with your bathroom, it looks so uncluttered. Good luck!

Mari said...

Well, a kitchen is quite a project, but you seem to have some good ideas. As a veteran of many kitchen improvements, I can tell you that waiting to decide is never a bad thing. If you do decide on paint to lighten everything up, please consider having them professionally painted. So much less work and so much less time, plus a better finish. Also, new door pulls and some undercabinet lights can make a huge difference. Good luck!