Thursday, July 21, 2022

Fabric!

 

After every big project, it's only normal for there to be a letdown. I've had two big highs lately - the renovation of my bathroom and Julie's visit - and I'm experiencing the letdown. I can't seem to get much of anything going. Or I can start, but I can't seem to generate the steam to continue any one project.

Let's face it, I've expended a LOT of energy in the first part of the year and I've run out of "gas." I need time to recharge. So I've been doing a lot of resting, reading (more on that in a bit) and not too much else.

I did, however, do a little bit of fabric shopping. I've got a pink bird quilt I'll need backing and borders and binding for, and there was a sale...

I told you I was reading. Victoria Finlay has written several books - about color (the history of pigments, not how to use it), jewels and now fabric. I'm very much enjoying the journey.

I may not be doing much sewing, but I have been doing a lot of THINKING. I want to update my tutorial about using fabrics - Making Your Fabric Work For You (aka MYFWFU). I know everybody thinks color is the most important thing, but I think if you know how to use fabric, with all the print and pattern, then you can get a lot more bang for your buck. A lot of it is how you see your fabrics (Julie and I had a very illuminating text exchange this week about that) and I want to expand and improve that idea, so I have been doing a lot of THINKING about what I need to say and how I want to say it. Don't hold your breath, it's going to take a while.

Lastly, I really have to write the Story of Millie, and how she changed my life. Many of you know the whole story, but a lot of you don't. Millie's story is amazing, and I want to tell it. If it wasn't for Millie, you wouldn't be here. So I have to think about that. Millie's blog is still up, and if you have a lot of free time, you can start at the beginning and read forward. I promise you will be astonished, that you will laugh and cry. It starts in August 2006 and ends in February 2022. In between is The Cat of a Lifetime.


8 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh, those fabrics! The colored mosaic circles stopped me for a minute there. Bugs?! (I guess you plan on feeding the birds in the pink bird quilt...) Those pigeons with the golden wing feathers are beautiful, kind of calming. Thank you for the eye candy!

Julierose said...

I like the idea of letting the fabric do the work....instead of fighting to "matchey matchey"...which does have its place for sure--but not really for me...I love scrappiness--Re-charging is good -- hugs, Julierose

Just Ducky said...

Relax, refresh, recharge and we can all think on Millie!

Quiltdivajulie said...

We all need time to stop and ponder and allow our bodies and spirits to rest. Enjoy the book and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!

Alison said...

Really looking forward to your updated MYFWFU tutorial! Your fantastic ability to articulate your thoughts is sure to provide new perspectives for me. The Story of Millie sounds like a great idea too.

JustGail said...

I know that feeling well. Many times at work, a huge round of qualification testing, sometimes on multiple sets of software at once ended, I'd get into work for days, and in the sudden calm, think "what the h... did we just get get through?" It was hard to get going on the next tasks. Very Odd. I also had a similar feeling after retirement , and now after signing up for Medicare plans - so much reading, thinking, and paperwork, suddenly it's done and off my mind. So many things I should move on to, but my brain says "no thank you, not gonna think right too hard right now."

Enjoy the down time, I suspect your mind is doing a lot of that background thinking that leads to far more getting done than forcing the issue. Now, I have to go read your prior thoughts on fabric, and the story of Millie, and add those books to my wish list.

Lizzie said...

You have indeed done a whole lot and it's only July! You certainly deserve a some time to refresh and recharge. I'm delighted to hear you're going to write Millie's book.
I read Millie's blog in real time but will take up your challenge and reread the whole thing from beginning to end. Question, however... Do you know if there is a way to sort the entries for a month or year from oldest to newest? As currently configured, the most recent entry appears at the top--perfect, if you're reading the current day on that day. But here, I want to read a whole month or year and it's more natural to start at the beginning of the month or year and work down to the end.
Lizzie

Ellen T. said...

I know that 'in-between' projects feeling! It usually passes.