Thursday, July 28, 2022

Light vs Dark

 

Of course I considered a light option. I actually bought a roll of each.

I tried a swatch of each here.

Here is what the light wallpaper looked like.

 

Here is the blue.

Turning to the right a bit, you can see that I've used the glass containers to store utensils. I think they look a lot better.

 

This side of the counter has changed a lot since I started this. I got rid of my toaster oven, and in its place is a white bread box. It hides the breads, buns and wraps. I've added a few fun things. I've been collected blue and white serveware for a long time, and it's nice to finally show it off.

In the end, the decision will come down to which one I like better. Right now it's the blue. Note I do plan to incorporate some under counter rope lighting.

HOWEVER...

This is my hutch area. I've replaced my Fiestaware with my collection of blue and white dishes. As you can see, the backing is brown. I will be painting this cabinet some version of white, and I will wallpaper the back wall with the LIGHT wallpaper.

I've also replaced all the hardware. I like it SO much better.

So here's a curve ball. I was talking to my Mom and she wondered if I should continue the wallpaper right across the back wall in the dining room. That would be interesting. I wonder if the blue would be too much, but I know the light would be easy on the eyes, but I worry it would be boring. I dunno. We'll see.


Now to your comments... the light version has been considered, as well as under cabinet lighting.

About the "Oh my god, you can't paint wood" school of thought, I disagree. It isn't gold. There is no rule that wood should never be painted. 

However I can see hiring a pro. 

I actually love to paint, so for me, once I get it all cleaned and sanded, painting is a breeze. I like painting as much as I like sewing. 

I will definitely replace the range hood. I'll get a stainless steel one, and I'd remove the strip of wood above the stove so I will place the wallpaper so I get a great design to fill that space. I will also consider replacing the countertops. (because, if you are going to do something... do it right. Complete the task!)

Eventually I'd replace the flooring too. There are a lot of design considerations to think about.

Wanda, you and I are both "height challenged" so the only thing that lives on top of the fridge at my house is something very light. For me it is all the plastic storage containers.

I thought about changing the hinges, but it turns out I can't get any where the holes match the ones that are already in place. So I chose hardware that looked a lot like the hinges. Every design has to work around some limiting factors. 


NOW! I have a funny story. My sister came by over the weekend to pick up her quilt. I wanted her to come over so she could see my new bathroom. She walked over, and turned the corner, and stopped dead in her tracks, "OH FUDGE!" (that's not what she said.) "OH this is... this is..." she faltered.

"Well, I knew it was going to be beautiful, because well, it's YOU, but oh shoot, Lynne, this is fudging gorgeous. This is... beautiful." She looked at every detail. "You know," she said, "You showed me the wallpaper. I was with you when you picked out the shower. You showed me the vanity and the faucet and all the hardware. But I didn't expect this. I mean, oh geez. This is awesome. The mirror is perfect. The shower doors, the towels, the vase, the stool, the print. I can't believe it. I mean I can believe it, but oh my god. It's incredible."

To say she made my day is a dramatic understatement.








5 comments:

Nancy J said...

I like the light paper, specially after seeing it in a larger piece against the wall. The utensils show off better with the light, at least in my eyes, Love your dresser with the blue plates too. But ultimately, after you have looked at each option for several days, the right one will jump out in its full glory, or at least that's what I hope will happen.

Quiltdivajulie said...

In the dining room, since you have a horizontal dividing line on the wall why not test out sample of both papers and consider trying a mix of both (one above and one below)? Or at least hang long strips of both to see how the light plays at different times of the day.

Peggy said...

I’m not offering any suggestions as I know you’ll go with your gut instinct S and it will be beautiful! Can you share with me where you are getting your wallpaper, and is it the new sticky backed kind?

JustGail said...

Tough decision, I'm glad I'm not the one making it. If the purpose was to lighten the kitchen, the gray is the way to go. OTOH, the blue seems to stand up to the items you will keep on the counter, definitely to the black/stainless of the range. Absolute yes, that hutch needs painted inside. I put aqua trellis pattern fabric wrapped around foam core board in the back of a barrister book case, it's not a dark looming item in the living room and the items inside show up much better. I liked it so much I hung the remnant in the back of the shelf section of the antique side-by-side, and am considering doing that to another shelf unit.

Regarding painting wood, yay or nay, I blame Mom for my stance. I remember as a child her refinishing furniture and cussing out whoever painted it, especially if it was black paint. As a result, wood like walnut, cherry, oak, etc. - no paint for me please. Other woods like pine, paint is fine and sometimes an improvement. As I said earlier, something about your cabinets makes me not hate the idea of paint. Or maybe I'm mellowing in my old age?

It does sound like a good idea to have the cabinets done by professionals if you do paint. Especially with all the prep work that needs to be done. Besides, if you do paint, you could change the hinges since any holes from the old hinges could be filled and painted over.

Love your sister's reaction to the bathroom!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm enjoying watching your progress with these projects at your place. The bathroom is great and I can't wait to see the finishes in your kitchen. I feel the same as yourself about painting wood - my husband and I have numerous 'interesting' discussions on a few pieces of our wooden furniture, when my shoulder is up to it I have definite plans, already have the pain tucked away!! Gotta say I love the response from your sister!!