Sunday, July 31, 2022

When You Know It Won't Work...

 Call me egotistical. Call me a knowitall. Call me whatever you want, but I when I work up a design I generally know it if will work or not. I may screw around with details, but the great overarching design is usually set in my head and I know whether it will work or not.

Since I knew what the blue wallpaper looked like in real life I wanted to put up the light wallpaper so I would have a chance to live with it for a few days to see if I liked it better than the blue version.

I worked for a couple of hours.

The light wallpaper makes it easier to see in the corner. (Middle photo.) But this bugs me. One big design rule is never to lead the eye where there is nothing to see. 

So what that the corner is lighter. It is always going to be a dark corner. I can't reach what's back there, so I don't care if it's dark. (That's what under cabinet lighting is for.) 

But this much bland wallpaper is just blah. There's nothing to grab your attention (read: there is no contrast.) 

The other thing the light wallpaper fails to do is to connect to the other objects in the kitchen. I have a lot of blue and white pieces, and the blue wallpaper connected these objects together.

I thought I would need a week to live with each to know, and the answer is, I knew the light paper was wrong after a couple of hours.

So why did I do it?

Because I had to see it for sure before I commit.

Now you can disagree. But I do not care. Because it is MY kitchen. 




(Gosh, I can't wait to take all that white stuff down...)




4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Your wooden boards show so beautifully against the blue, you are right!!!

Rebecca said...

Yep... your right...again.

The dark blue dose so much more for the whole concept and I never would have thought of it that way. I learn so much as you show your steps and explain why you do what you do. Showing the difference the two made it so much clearer to me.

Now the question is what are you going to do with that other roll of wall paper?

Linda Swanekamp said...

I knew you were right from the beginning. The color of the cabinets, countertop and amount of visual stimuli needed that blue wallpaper with the sweeps and turns. Not all of it is dark, it has a lot of light swishes and sweeps.

Carol said...

yes, yes, yes! the darker blue is perfect! and the commenter above about the lighter swishes and sweeps is right on! great choice! I would have never chosen this design of paper for a kitchen, but you nailed it.