Sunday, January 30, 2022

Fine Tuning Ripples

The other day I thought the green in the upper left was too dark, and wondered if a lighter green was better. Clearly it isn't.

I tried putting the dark green back in and rearrange the blocks. This (above) wasn't perfect, but I felt it was better.

Sure, this is basically a rainbow, or a color wheel, and I wanted the colors to flow from one to the other, but I didn't want it to be regular or too predictable. So once I got something I liked in the upper left, I continued to work my way down. rearranging blocks, and making new blocks where I needed. Unless you click (and then click the pictures again) you probably won't notice many changes.

In the end, I had added light green blocks, lavender blocks, red blocks and red violet blocks.  I like this, and I'll sew it together.


This is a Scrap Slab quilt. You can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop.


10 comments:

Raewyn said...

The effort to rearrange and rearrange again was worth it, I love the latest arrangement - it works well - happy sewing!

Nancy J said...

Love the last, that pale green just didn't do anything, at least in my eyes. Your eyes know when it is right, the subtle differences you make are all enhancing the original layout. Go, sew, while the snow is still in huge amounts outside.

Judy in Michigan said...

I think you need a few brighter yellows. IMHO
Good luck, almost done!

Chookyblue...... said...

It looks good...... It's fun playing and moving things around.... Hope the snow storm is ok

Linda Swanekamp said...

Almost reminds me of a stained glass window. Very lovely.

Marlyn said...

Maybe some orange.

Janet said...

Like it, too.

Ruth said...

I remember when you first put up the 3 1/2 dark green diamonds, on the Jan 23 post "Ripples." Those diamonds looked so mid-century modern and stunning, I kept watching for them to see if they would show up again. Nope. I even went back to see if I still liked them. Yep. On to better things. This rainbow quilt will look great!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I really like the end result - what a great blend of colors (and it used up lots of small pieces in the process).

QuiltGranma said...

Great combination now, just have to figure out what to do with what you didn't put in!