Tuesday, October 26, 2021

It All Comes Out in the Wash

 

I have told you regularly and often that I wash EVERY piece of fabric before I let it into the studio. I wash it in warm water. Then I run it through the dryer, bring it into the studio and iron it. 

The last thing I do before I give a quilt away or use it is run it though the washing machine, in warm water, with a couple of Color Catchers. (I also include a box of Color Catchers with every quilt I gift.) For this quilt, since it was so dark, I used Woolite detergent for dark fabrics. I use it for my black jeans and slacks. It is reputed to keep your darks dark, so I used it for the very dark Deep Space quilt.

This is what the two color catchers looked like when I pulled them out of the washer after I washed the Deep Space quilt. If this isn't proof that you should wash your fabrics before you use them, I don't know what is.

6 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

I did a Christmas quilt recently from precuts. When I washed a small throw size quilt I added 6 color catchers since as precuts I did not precast. The color catchers came out either bright red, saturated purple or just a mess but all 6 were completely colored and had done their best. There were no true whites left on the quilt. I decided no more saturated precuts and absolutely no reds.

Diane Koch said...

Wondering if you do not like to use Retayne to keep colors from bleeding? I have used it, but wondering if there is a downside I don't know about?

Mari said...

Dark blues and reds run the worst. Still a surprise to see how dark those Color Catchers are on pre-washed fabric! (It's a beautiful quilt, too.)

earthmotherwithin said...

I learned a big lesson recently with a scrap quilt I made using fabric I was given. There were a lot of reds. I did not wash the fabric before I made the quilt, then I washed it with 4 colour catchers. The neutral border became a stripe of pink and neutral patches! I washed it again, using a product designed to remove colour runs and the pink certainly was lighter as a result.Fortunately I was quite happy with the overall effect, but I will know next time!

QuiltGranma said...

Great idea to use color catchers! Love the bunny (fabric?) on the wall next to the washer!

Ratana said...

I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.
កីឡាបាល់ទាត់​ អនឡាញ_Football Online