Monday, April 26, 2021

Working on Green & Yellow

 

I had an idea, and needed to rearrange the blocks on the design wall, but first I had to remove them.

I set out my idea, but did not like it, so I put the blocks back up on the wall, but then I realized I had set them up too high, and had to lower them by one block, so I started on one side and worked my way up.

When I stood up to stretch my legs, I saw this, so I went across the room and took a picture of it, because this looked intriguing. I'll file this idea away for later. In the meantime, I kept making blocks.

Once there are enough blocks, I tinkered a bit.

And then I tinkered some more. Now it's time to look at it and think -- oh there are two sunflower blocks in the fifth row from the top that look like they have holes in them. I'll have to fix those (translation: I have to make more blocks.) I also see some of the dark green dragonfly blocks only appear in the bottom half of the quilt, and I will want to move one to the top half, but where? And is the right side of that very top point too green (probably), and is there too much yellow on the left side? When I ask "are there too many" I don't mean actual the actual quantity. I mean visually.

Now, although I have posed these questions, they are for me to resolve. I am not looking for your suggestions. I listed them here because these are the kinds of things I think about when I get to this stage of making a quilt. 

Details: The blocks are currently 6-1/2" square. There are 12 rows of 10 blocks which means the quilt will be at least 60" x 72" and by my rough count there are (at least) 40 unique fabrics. This block is from Sujata Shah's book Cultural Fusion Quilts, although this layout of blocks is not in her book. This is the third variation I have made of this. The first is the Petals quilt, and the second is Waltzing Matilda.






6 comments:

Diana said...

Lynne, thank you for sharing so much of your process and your inspiration! I have been inspired to rearrange blocks on my current project(s) to see what may emerge!

Just Ducky said...

Reminds me of a cottage garden. All sorts of flowers coming together, the colors mixing together in soft focus.

NeverBored said...

Thanks for sharing your thinking process as you work on your quilts. It really helps me assess my own quilts in progress as I ponder, "are we there yet?"

JustGail said...

I'm glad you brought back the bright yellows! And I'm glad you and your Dad got to hug again...

Tammy Hutchinson said...

I rarely miss a post as I love your fabrics and color blending tips especially. A few days/weeks ago you mentioned a free pieced bird quilt made with your tutorial, that you would share the following day. I must have missed it, though I've scrolled back. Curious because I have used your tutorial for many birds, none of which have made it to a quilt yet. A few are stacked up and waiting, but others have been called to mug rugs, pot holders and tea towels. Please tell me where I can see this latest inspiration and maybe I can make and hide enough from myself to get to quilt size. Thank you!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

This piece is turning out to be amazing. Wonderful eye you have for sorting fabrics and colours. I stink at that!