Monday, March 29, 2021

Black is Back!

 

It's always fun to pick up quilts from Janet-Lee Santeusanio. I picked up the black and white Scrap Slaps quilt, All Together Now.

You can see the quilting design best when you look at the back. 

I was picking up the quilt after lunch, so I had to prepare the binding. But I had to go back to look at a picture of the quilt, to remember what the edges looked like. Once I knew the edges were white, I knew the binding had to be black. But black with colors, just like the blocks in the quilt. So I rummaged through my stash and found eight fabrics. For the binding I needed eight WOF strips. I cut strips of each, then cut the strips more or less in half, and then sewed the strips together for the binding. I feel the binding tells the quilt what color it is, and while a white binding would have worked, this quilt is black with colors and white, and a black (with colors) binding would emphasize that fact.

As you all know, I sew my binding to the BACK of my quilts, so my finish stitching is on the front. (Because you know, I like to show off my invisible stitches.)

Yeah, this is going to rock big time.

You know what's THE BEST thing about this quilt? Every single bit of fabric, from the top, backing and binding, came from my stash. 

(Of course that could also be a little bit scary too! How many quilts are hiding in my stash?)

7 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Gorgeous finish, the binding looks perfect.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You know I love a good scrappy binding - this one fits that category to a "T" - GREAT quilt!!!

Janet-Lee Santeusanio said...

PERFECT binding!

earthmotherwithin said...

It looks amazing. And thank you for the observation that the binding tells the quilt what colour it is -I have kind of understood that, but not had the words.

Poppy Q said...

My gosh it looks beautiful. How clever you are to use up your stash.

Tammy said...

I am always amazed at how much something as simple as a binding adds to the quilt! Great quilt!

Cherie in St Louis said...

What a fabulous finish!! I think making it all from stash means you have all the resources You need for your artwork;-)