Sunday, November 15, 2020

Border, Backing for All Together Now

 

I added a narrow border of the black on white fabrics found in the quilt as the border of All Together Now. I cut the strips in random lengths and joined them at an angle.

The next thing was to find fabric for a backing. I wanted to use what I had, not buy anything else, so I started rummaging around. I found this panel, above. I know I bought it on sale, and I didn't have any plans for it, but I thought it had some great possibilities. It was sold as a panel, and I bought three. Heaven knows why.

When I moved so I could look at the fabric AND the quilt at the same time, it was immediately obvious that it was a perfect choice. I just had to make it wider.

A few hours later, after hemming and hawing, and fussing and adjusting, I added seven pieces of fabric to the big panel, and I have this.

I think this photo makes it pretty clear that the fabrics all work together and this is going to be one spectacular quilt.


What's really cool is that I did not spend one dime to make this quilt. Every single bit came from my stash or the scrap bins. SOMEBODY is going to get a really cool quilt when this is done.


If YOU want to make a scrap slabs quilt you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. 

17 comments:

Kathy said...

This is a perfect quilt! Even made me want to diverge from my improv back to precise to make one like it...you never know where inspiration will come from. Love it.

Liz Tamiso said...

I’d like to introduce myself, my name is SOMEBODY ������
I absolutely love everything you chose here, and I enjoyed watching your process as I always do

Rebecca said...

Oh my!!!!
I love that panel for the back of that quilt. They where made for each other and to think they have have been waiting in your stash ( as several hundred pieces) to be brought together by you!

NeverBored said...

It's stunning! Front and back.

Just Ducky said...

Love, love, love the backing panel. It so fits with the front.

I know you may not read many cat blogs these days but Max, The PsychoKitty has gone to The Bridge. He was like the Founding Father of the Cat Blogosphere. Age 19 and a half years old.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That was an ideal choice for the border. I love that panel fabric and almost bought it. You couldn't have asked for anything more perfect for the back.

Mickey's Musings said...

WOW! That is an amazing quilt with SO much movement!
In addition to triangles, I see light and dark,3D squares,hexagons.
That is so cool.
Nancy

Quilting Babcia said...

I've been scrounging scraps of all the black and white and white and black fabrics I can get my hands on for a few months now along with some blacks with colors with the thought of making a 60 degree triangle quilt. Just discovered your series of posts about this one! I hadn't thought of building scrap slabs for some of the blocks, but I love the way you made yours. A project for the new year.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You did it! It's fantastic, amazing, wonderful, and ALL FROM THE STASH which makes it even better. I love it!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Pretty darn cool, from front to back. I have one panel of that fabric. Shows you have great taste/knowledge that you can get all of your stash to work for you.

Julia G said...

The panel is FABULOUS! What a great back!

MissPat said...

From all together now to it was meant to be. Perfect match up and all from scratch. Who could ask for anything more.
Pat

Ann said...

How perfect are these! Yes, one spectacular quilt with the panel centering the back. It's such a treat to find just the right stuff in our stash.

Ruth said...

Isn't that the most gorgeous black and white with a little color quilt??!!!! So fun to watch it all come together. Thank you for your hard work!

Jill said...

If you love a fabric, buy 3yards of it...you will be delighted one day!

QuiltGranma said...

Another beauty coming together!

Raewyn said...

Oh very cool! I think this combination of front and pieced back is one of the most inspiring I've seen. Fabulous!