Monday, November 2, 2020

Sew, Cut, Sew, Cut.

 

I've been cutting up all my slabs into triangles and using the scraps to make more slabs, etc etc.

I got out my scrap slabs orphan box and found all these black & side triangles. So I sewed pairs together until I had none left. I made another two dozen black triangles this way.

By dinnertime I had all these, and my hands were tired, so I stopped to have dinner and watch a movie.

When I take these pictures I'm far enough away to get a picture of the whole design wall, but you really can't get a good look at how cool the triangles are with all the different fabrics. There are at least four different fabrics with dragons in them. That reminded me that in very old maps, areas unknown occasionally had this notation: "Here be Dragons." I think that could be a good name for this quilt! 

The next day I built more slabs and cut more triangles. Finally I had enough.

Here's a funny thing. All the black fabrics came out of the fabric that had been stuffed in these two boxes. After I made all the scraps, I cleaned up my work tables, and put the remaining fabric back into the bins. Hmm. The boxes are almost full.

How does THAT happen?



This is a scrap slabs quilt. If you want to make one you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. It's an instant download, so you can get started right away.







5 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Once I biggie sized your photos, I saw the slabs. The black fabrics looked like single fabric triangles until I looked closely. Now I get it. The blacks all go together so well. Very clever and fun.

Quiltdivajulie said...

How does THAT happen? It happens here, too . . .

Rebecca said...

Its all related to how the gnomes move mountains when you drive.
Coat hangers reproduce.
Socks disappear in the wash.
Ect.......

The Selvage Fairy said...

Given the price of fabric, that's a pretty useful trick.

Julia G said...

My theory is that the remaining scraps are fluffed up, so most of it is air. My scrap bins are overflowing so they get quite compressed until I start digging in to find the gems.
I just love your quilts.