Thursday, October 29, 2020

Goose Rocks Beach Goes Home

 

I gave Goose Rocks Beach to the CEO. He's been wrestling with dramatic changes over the last few months, and I know he's been stressing out big time. I wanted him to know how deeply I appreciate the concern he has had for his employees, keeping them safe. (Read: allowing me to work from home.)

I told him that if ANYBODY at the company needed a hug it was him. I said I couldn't give him a hug, but I had something even better. Then I pulled out the quilt, and my normally loquacious boss was at a loss for words. To say the gift of a quilt was a surprise was a dramatic understatement. He thought the colors were perfect. He loved the title and knew where Goose Rocks Beach was, as he loves that part of the country, and vacations near there every year.

He loved the quilt, but was so happy to have the story of the quilt to go along with it. The story was a synopsis of how the quilt came to be, from the inspiration photograph (another colleague) to the choosing of fabrics, arrangement of blocks, quilting, QA testing by Millie and the binding. When I got home later I added the photo above at the end and added more details.

I also gave him a copy of the Slashed Squares tutorial and every photograph I took of the quilt from start to finish. Hey, he's the CEO of a manufacturing company. This is a guy who likes to know how things get made.

Here's part of the thank you note he sent later:

"Hey Lynne,

I am so blown away!

I feel very special today, believe me, to have my own Goose Rocks Beach masterpiece! ... I am deeply touched and am deeply grateful.... Goose Rocks Beach, well, Rocks!"


I am equally happy. THIS is why we make quilts!




12 comments:

Corrine said...

That is so amazing! Great idea! I'm sure you totally made his day!

Ruth said...

He has such a BIG smile on his face. Fun to hear that he knows about Goose Rocks Beach for real. The quilt looks beautiful, and giving him all the steps of "How It Came To Be" must have been the icing on the cake.
Congratulations on a finished quilt experience!

Pat said...

Thumbs up!!

Just Ducky said...

A truly thoughtful gift. One that will be appreciated and used for years to come.

Rebecca said...

Oh Yes... that works really well. Gotta take care of the good guys!

Sewing Sue said...

I was so touched by your post... yes, the 'care-givers' deserve some care in return. Loved the quilt story too! Good on ye, Lynn.

Cherie in St Louis said...

So awesome....it is EXACTLY why we make quilts!!! And your boss nailed it, Goose Rocks Beach does ROCK!!!

Alice said...

A truly positive experience for the gift giver and gift receiver. And everyone else along the way. Warms my ❤️ heart. So nice to hear
About folks thinking about other folks. This made my day. Thank you.

Linda Swanekamp said...

A gorgeous quilt + a great story = a winning combo! Super that you could pull both off.

MissPat said...

A fine example of gratitude begetting gratitude. We all need more of these positive moments these days.
Pat

Tammy Hutchinson said...

Most excellent Lynne!

Dorothy said...

You rock !! I love his smile