Thursday, September 24, 2020

It!

 

I'll spare you the eleven other permutations this went through before it got here, but this is it. Well, it is IT before I start sewing it together. These asterisk blocks have been trimmed down to 6" squares.

When one of my students, Kerrin, saw this she texted, " That quilt looks GREAT! It looks like one of those blow away dandelions..."

And that was when I knew I had the layout right, because that is EXACTLY what I was going for.

So how am I going to sew it together, since these aren't arranged in anything like a row?

First, I modified the photo so I could see all the individual blocks. Then I will print this photo and figure out how I will group them so I can sew them into big chunks, and then sew those together. In other words, I am going to do it the same way I sewed the Flight of Fancy flimsy together. Go click that link and you will understand.

This is the back of the Life is Tweet quilt, and you can see how the process looks.

This is the upper right section of that quilt before I put it all together.


So what I am going to be doing over the next few days is extremely fiddly and fussy and complicated. Some things might not go exactly where I want them to. I am not going to cut any asterisks apart, but they may get trimmed a bit, like the bottom corner of the light pink one in the photo directly above.

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

And THIS is where your magic making really shines - putting things together so they look effortless and light as air. GO FOR IT!

The Selvage Fairy said...

This has (at least) two amazing things about it. One is the artistry of the design, and the other is the technical skill of organizing all those seams.

Sewgirl said...

I KNEW you would find a way to make the magic happen! Your artistic eye never fails to impress.

Mickey's Musings said...

That is going to be such a pretty, unique quilt!
Nancy

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love it. Not sure I could figure out how to connect it together. I would love to do one with your butterflies.
Going to be great!!

Dorothy said...

Fabulous !!! And your student Kerrin is right--it does look like "blowing in the wind" dandelions :-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's fabulous and the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's a truly magical and light-as-air design!