Friday, September 25, 2020

How I Will Do It

It took me four tries, and in the end I had to cut something from one page and stick it on another because I didn't want to re-do the whole thing all over again. Basically every dark line you see is a seam. There will be three set in squares. Those are the dark blocks. It looks like there are four, but I won't need the one at the top because I plan to sew it a bit differently and erasing on a photocopy doesn't work very well.

Of course the finished quilt will be a bit different. Although I have a plan for how to sew these together, when it comes time to actually SEW them I will be doing it by eye so there is bound to be some variation. Also in the photo above, seam allowances are not taken into account. On the whole I think the arrangement will shrink a bit because of it.

And yes, this is hella complicated, but working one block at a time, one section at a time (I think there are 22 sections) I will make it through.

 

 This is the back of the bottom left section, seen from the wrong side.

Here I have sewn three sections together. Hint: they are at the very bottom. Since I have no idea how long this is going to take, and the pictures don't show much progress, don't expect day by day updates.

One thing however. I have had a couple of complaints that I do not show EXACTLY how I put the Fight of Fancy quilt together in my bird tutorial. (I mean, really?) I have had so many questions about it though, I added the link in the header that explains how I did it. I will DEFINITELY NOT be providing instructions on how I put this thing together. 

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

I wish I was sitting on your shoulder as you piece this masterpiece together. You are my quilting/design hero :-)

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is a mammoth task. Trying to not get lost where I was and cutting the angle the right way would be the hardest for me.

JustGail said...

It looks like the generic instructions are add fabric until you can make straight lines and sections where ever possible. Yes, you may have to do some Y seams, get over it. Yes, you will end up with bias edges when adding triangles, get over it and treat them gently. A photo and crayons will help with planning.

Am I close?

Quiltdivajulie said...

The cool thing about construction like this is that the seam lines add texture and interest to the finished top - and then when the quilting lays overtop there are even more interesting intersections to explore. Glad you added the page with the Flights of Fancy hints/links to previous posts. That one is a grand idea (and a good reference to add to your tutorial).

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Where there's a will there's most definitely a way-- you've got a STRONG will and I can't wait to see this one together! You're SEW smart!

Poppy Q said...

I love it !!