Saturday, August 8, 2020

Slogging Away

There's an old saying, "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince."

I discovered a few fabrics that just didn't fit. They were too brown or too orange or too pale.  Ok, no problem. Those went.
 
I was not happy with this. I worked all day long and just couldn't get it to come together.
It wasn't like I didn't know where I was going. I had a plan. (Thank you Cathy, for making me make outlines to draw on for the Zebra Tutorial.)

I kept at it. Finally, after almost 12 hours, I surrendered and went to bed.

The next morning I bowed to the inevitable, and admitted my previous plan just wasn't working. I began to arrange the blocks in the Golden Zebra layout.

But that didn't thrill me either. It wasn't even OK. I didn't even LIKE it!

But me being me, I persisted.

And persisted.

And persisted. Finally I just walked out of the studio and ignored it for a couple of days.

When the big storm Isaias (?) blew through, the winds knocked some of the blocks off the wall.

I left them there.

Good riddance, I thought. It's BROKEN! HAHAHA! Let it stay broken.

Then I remembered that sometimes you have to BREAK something in order to FIX it. Break it again, and break it good.

As usual, when I get stuck, I walk away. I spent the rest of the evening on the couch reading. I could fix it TOMORROW.


And I did.










3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that photo with the blocks blown off the wall. Persistence is good - but sometimes the process is pretty messy.

NeverBored said...

I learn so much from you and your design process. My biggest lesson learned so far is, "Don't settle" and some quilts need time to "ripen". I'm anxiously waiting to see your Fix!

Unknown said...

I love the middle two rows of design one maybe try that for what its worth or throw the whole lot together and mak it a giveaway for someone else to put together. I love the fact that you show it dosent always work out even with a plan good luckwith what ever you decide
Elizabeth