Friday, June 26, 2020

The Door Fix

After I posted about the door last week two readers wrote to me to suggest I purchase an ODL Add-On Blind for the door. So I checked it out and found it at Home Depot. It wasn't in stock in either of the stores near me, so I ordered it online and had it delivered.

I had watched the installation video so I had a pretty good idea what to do.

It took less than 20 minutes to install, and I did it in my nightgown, before I even had breakfast.

The mini blinds are behind the glass, so they won't get dusty or dirty. On one side is a slider that raises and lowers the blinds.

On the other side is a slider that opens and closes them.

I am a happy camper.

I had forgotten I ordered this decorative window film as an option for the studio door. So I put it on the small window in the "water closet" part of my bathroom.

This whole project opened my eyes to window films. I did not realize that some window films could protect UV rays from fading fabrics inside the house, or to keep hot sun out in summer and hold the heat in in the winter. I ordered some to put in the skylight in my entrance hallway, where my Quick Brown Fox hangs. I am pretty sure it does affect the color of the light that comes into the house, so that makes it a definite maybe not for use in the windows in the studio, but I'll keep looking. Many of these films look like a mirror on the outside during the day, giving lots of privacy. I have three skylights so I'll be putting the film on the other two, but I don't have to worry about privacy there. If somebody is on my roof looking in I have bigger problems.

BTW, this post was written with the "Legacy" Blogger. I have done nothing to my pictures. It will be interesting to see if they are just as bad or better than the pictures in yesterday's post.

I have one more window to wash, and that's behind my sofa, so that will happen this weekend. The mechanism to swing the windows down to wash the outside of the windows is broken so that one may be a quick job. I might have to wash it from outside, and that entirely depends on my energy level and the height of my ladder!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Definitely better pictures with this version of blogger. I use Word Press so don't have any helpful hints for you, but hope you can get it figured out...........or blogger can get it figured out. Strange.

JustGail said...

The photos are fine today. I don't *think* I've seen other blogs that had the same issue, but then again, if they don't say they've transitioned.... I wonder if there's a setting for photos that needs tweaked in your account???? No idea - I'm on WordPress also.

Anyway - I had no idea these blinds existed - very cool. And a warning on those "privacy" films - while they work to prevent others seeing in during day, at night whoever is outside can see in fine but you can't see out. Unless they've come up with something new in the last ??? years since I've seen it in use.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Better photo quality today - I'm still using Legacy but plan to start using the new version next week if all goes well with the new computer set up.

Mari said...

Oh, nice fix for the door! Not all films are mirrored, and many do a great job of keeping the heat out without too much discoloration. We put them on our huge south-facing windows at the old house. They worked great! Be sure to look other places than the big box stores. Some other places are much cheaper, and you can get bigger pieces.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I love your new blind. Not seen that style before and certainly something I will look into for some of my doors/windows. I'm in the UK so hope to find an alternative type here. And thanks for sharing how they work :)

QuiltGranma said...

What lovely solutions you found for a problem... I just may borrow some of those! Thanks!

cdpquilter said...

Love those mini-blinds!! That is too cool.