Saturday, October 26, 2019

Tricksy!

When you've done as much fussy-cutting as I have, you learn a few tricks.  See the pair of blocks just above the watermark? See how one edge of the block on the left has a dark line running along the edge? You might think, hey, that interrupts the flow from one block to the next, but actually that line will disappear because it is inside the seam allowance. The pink center in the upper left of that same block will also disappear into the seam allowance.

See the block in the center of the group above? You can probably tell already because I am so close, but...

I've got the wrong side facing up. The block was just too bright where it needed to go, so I flipped it over. From a couple of feet away, you can't even tell.

I will fussy cut anything to get the look I want. This fabric had a lovely very light green I needed, but I didn't need all the extra colors with it.

 I cut two squares of the fabric, and believe it or not, the slightly busier one worked better. That bright pink spot in the upper left corner will also go away because it is in the seam allowance.

 I worked hard to get the tables clean and the fabrics mostly put away.

Because I really want to get the binding on the Golden Zebras quilt.

BUT HOLD THAT THOUGHT!!!


You may have noticed all the green fabrics all over the studio the last few days. On the tables, on the floor... everywhere. I had washed them, but not ironed them. Most of them came from Gail, who sent me a gigantic box of yellows and greens last year when I was working on my Early Autumn quilt. The box really saved my bacon when I was working on the colorwash quilt.

I was ironing this last two yard piece when I thought, Damn, I've got a lot of greens. I should make a green Zebras quilt... Then that thought hit me and I thought, "OH HELL! I SHOULD MAKE A GREEN ZEBRAS QUILT." That sentence finished in my head and I thought, I should call it JEALOUSY.  Then I had a better idea... The Green-Eyed Monster. (Which of course is the same thing.) I think I am going to have some serious fun with this. The greens are bright, and I have no plan on toning them down.

Heh!




6 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congrats on cleaning up- lots of hard work. I am excited to see the blocks closeup. I cannot wait to use both my florals and batiks on my next colorwash. I have flipped fabric and sometimes try things that aren't likely suspects, but somehow work. Thanks for the photos.

Ann said...

Kind of you to point out some important construction and design tips.
I love the name, Green Eyed Monster, and boy, do I need some greens right now. Fortunately I can do some shopping soon.

Rebecca said...

Ohhhhh... this green eyed monster is going to be fun to watch!!!
Did you find that sorting and cutting for the color wash made bigger piles on everything then you not so regular regular quilts?
also
will what you learned in the color wash come over into your other quilts?

Love to watch you work...

Quiltdivajulie said...

One things leads to another . . . GREEN zebras. How fun!!

Judy P. said...

I took a class with Kaffe several years ago that involved fussy cutting...naturally. I didn't enjoy it. I don't like making a hole in a perfectly beautiful piece of fabric. And, of course, I don't let the fact that I have so much fabric that I will never use it all up get in the way. It's an emotional thing. :)

Ruth said...

Shoot! I thought for sure you were going to tell us how to sew the colorwash quilt stacks together in the right order. Sometimes I mess up those stacks, forgetting which way they should turn when I get them under the needle. Then it's time for the seam ripper.
I love the golden zebra look! My husband has seen the original zebra quilt and was amazed at it. We loved the picture of Millie lying on the back of it on top of the couch.
Thank you for blogging!