Friday, October 25, 2019

Lies, Lies, Lies!

You really didn't think I could keep my fingers off this thing, did you?

Well, I didn't. I have been tinkering. I tried to make the outside rows look less like dark borders and allow the color on the edges to bump out a bit. I tried to make the corners less like blobs. I have some flat spots, and not as many lively fabrics as I perhaps ought to, but I am good with this. (Yeah, I know, I've only been saying that for the last two weeks.)

This is the view from my cutting table. I have started cleaning up a bit. This also gives you an idea of the scale of the colorwash. It is 20 rows of 2-1/2" squares, so right now it is 50" across, but when it is sewn together it will be 40" square.

The sewing machine table is clear as is my ironing table. As you can see I've got fabric all over the place. I have something like three quilts to bind, but I have to have room to cut strips and pin the binding to the quilt, so I have to clean up. Plus I hate it messy.

By the way, Gail of the boxes of fabric, your green and yellow box of fabrics saved my butt on the colorwash quilt. Have I told you lately how much I love you?


8 comments:

Ann said...

There is a joy in cleaning up. It's good that you have reached that stage even if you don't think the color wash is perfect. It looks great to me.

Pandy said...

The color wash just keeps looking better and better. The version today looks good enough to sew together. It’s been interesting watching you make the changes. I also love the pictures you have posted of your studio. I can not work on a project without making a mess in my sewing room. Thanks for keeping it real.

Becky said...

So impressed with how you reworked the outside row. I've tried one, and having it not look like a border is sooooooo difficult. It looks so good now. A keeper for sure, and it rivals ones of Wanda's.

Cherie in St Louis said...

YAY!!! Your tinkering cleared one spot in the red/purple transition that stuck out to me :-) It looks more wonderful every time you work on it.....there must be a point of diminishing returns, no?

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is too bad we all couldn't meet up with our trays and do some trading. For me, the hardest fabrics to find are dark reds and purples. I bought cafeteria trays for mine and have two sets- floral and batik and know I have a lot of repeats others could use.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I give you permission to stop playing with it, haha! I keep changing pieces all the way to the end of taking it off the wall so who am I to say it is done? I love your light green area above the yellows. Most people would not have the variety of fabrics to do that.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

also, after enlarging the photo I can see you got rid of most of the fabrics that read as a solid and replaced them with busier prints, the ones that really blend well.

Unknown said...

I am not a quilter, but a painter and a dabbler in other forms of art. I see studios that look as if they have been tidied up for the photo shoot and wonder if a working studio could ever look like that. I am a scatterer and a filler-upper of all my space so I love your studio before the cleanup. This quilt is my favorite of all time.