Monday, May 20, 2019

Big Scrappy Diamonds Quilt - Magic Carpet!

Last year I made this quilt out of the leftover big diamonds cut from "giant" prints. Each fabric is used only once. It's a kind of colorwash quilt made from big blocks and big prints.

As you can see, Millie approves.

The quilting is outstanding.

I'm really happy with it.

Millie likes it too.

This is the fabric I plan to use as the binding of the quilt.

Here's the whole quilt, trimmed.

What quilt really needs is a name! (Geode??)

update: Tuesday May 21, 2019. I've decided this is going to be called "Magic Carpet." Thank you, Rondi!



Everyone always asks about my binding techniques. I wrote a tutorial about it so I could put all my hints in one place. You can get a copy here, at my Etsy shop. It's an instant download, so you can start learning all my tricks right away.

15 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

Absolutely gorgeous ... as all your quilts are!!

Cherie in St Louis said...

It's beautiful!! It looks like an explosion of flowers and colors....with Millie providing the focal point ;-) The quilting is wonderful.

rondiquilts said...

It reminds me of a "Magic Carpet". Its beautiful.

Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

Robby said...

This is exceptional, even by your usual standards. I tend to agree with the "Magic Carpet" suggestion. We're still discussing snow for tomorrow and yet I feel like Summer is in the wings just looking at this one.

Just Ducky said...

Millie is a beauty of B&W in a splash of color. Hello Miss M.

Judy in Michigan said...

For some reason, Faberge came to mind. Beautiful colors seen on a Faberge egg. It is truly a stunning quilt. One of my favorites (to add to the other 50 or so).

Rose said...

That is wild and glorious! I was so glad to see it laid out flat cause I wanted to see all the fabrics.

Sharon Brown said...

Very beautiful, as I think all your quilts are, and such lovely fabrics! I especially like the fabric you chose for the binding!

Joan said...

Spectacular! It made me think of prisms.

Tammy Hutchinson said...

One of my favorites, though all of your diamond quilts are.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That's a good name! Your black and white cat looks so striking against all that riotous color!

Ann said...

Yes, it is a riot of color and print. Perfect use for your leftover diamonds. I think that dark and bright binding fits the bill. And I'm glad Millie approves, too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm torn between Geode and Magic Carpet -- I think I like Geode better but I could be swayed in my opinion. Love the photo with Millie in it -- she helps the saturated colors glow even more than they already do.

Allison said...

It's just gotten more glorious with the quilting!

Frauke said...

wonderfull colours and pattern, thank for showing this beautifull quilt, please ecuse my mistakes Iam from north germany Frauke