Friday, February 22, 2019

The Things You Can Think Of

It's a heck of a lot easier to tinker with a quilt layout when you move little pieces of paper around on the table rather than climb up and down a step stool arranging blocks on the design wall.  This layout, above, actually uses all four of the blocks I showed you yesterday. I don't know how this would look with fabric, but I want to try it out.

This layout would also use all four blocks.

So how did I make these little paper pieces?  I used Microsoft Excel.


This is the spreadsheet I worked up.  I did two rows like this...

I printed the sheets, and then cut the long rectangles apart diagonally.  For me it was an easy solution, but the big point is that you should use ALL the tools at your disposal, even if you don't get them at a quilt shop.

8 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I agree! We should think out of the box! Loving these projects and may have to give it a go!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yup -I use Excel, too.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I haven't used Excel, except for keeping a list of my quilts, but I agree that you should use whatever tools you think would work for designing a quilt.

Ruth said...

Now that is very Clever! I certainly agree that it is easier working with paper than sewing the blocks and putting them up on the wall.
Have you ever considered Electric Quilt? I use it for every quilt I make just to give me the opportunity to play with the design before I start cutting fabric. I make final decisions with real fabric and blocks but I can see more options playing with the EQ program.
You seem more proficient on the computer than I am and could use the program to even better advantage

Cherie in St Louis said...

And you are the queen of using tools not specifically labeled for quilting....your looooooong metal ruler for one!

Elaine M said...

First thing I though of when I saw the photo was you were playing with an Escher puzzle even though I knew you were working on your quilt. I'm looking forward to your next step.

The Selvage Fairy said...

9:16...where have I seen that before?

Millie said...

Selvage Fairy, it's supposed to be 9:18, but counting was never my strong suit. LOL