Saturday, February 23, 2019

What You CAN and CANNOT Do

I love that you all pay so much attention and want to help so much. Here's the cutting diagram for all four variations in one fabric strip set (one set of eight strips, 20" wide)


I know perfectly well that if I want to make a whole stack of, say, # 2 triangles I'd add an extra dark strip along the top or bottom... and then trim off that extra strip at the point of each.

Sure, that works. But so what? I don't need more of the same. Hold that thought...

 You know how to make these? You're gonna be surprised.


Cool huh? In order to make this, you have to sew two of one version together. Ones go with Ones, Twos go with Twos, etc.

And if you want to make this:

Then you need TWOS and FOURS. Ones and Threes won't fit here.

Remember I said there is NO WAY to cut Twos and Fours (or ones and threes) EFFICIENTLY.


You can add a strips to your heart's content, there is NOTHING you can do to cut ones and threes

or Twos and Fours efficiently out of the same fabric strip set.

Sure you could cut all ones or all threes, or twos or fours or whatever, but you would have to know ahead of time what you wanted. And that works if you like designing your quilts completely before you start sewing.

I don't.

Regardless, there is NO WAY you can make a bunch of leftover Twos into Threes.

What I did not fully understand when I started this plan was that the design I wanted to sew would need only the Ones and Threes. OR I could use the Twos and Fours, but not the Ones and Threes.

Otherwise I would have cut my strip sets differently.

Lesson learned.





I want to play with fabric now, but I really have to do my taxes. Everything I am reading is telling me that folks are paying more taxes this year than they expected, and I sure don't want to be caught in a pickle come April 15.
 

1 comment:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Ah, completely clear now :-). Not that you would but someone could cut strip sets and cut 1,2, 3 and 4’s and make two quilts......would they be mirror images, Bahahahaha ;-)