Sunday, February 24, 2019

Got It Have I!

I think I have it. Now that I figured out HOW those damned blocks fit together, I went into the studio and took them all off the design wall, and put them in piles, and numbered them according to which block they were, 1, 2, 3 or 4.



I decided I would use a layout that would use all four blocks, because not to would be dumb.
I liked the way this made chevrons.

I had to start somewhere, so I just started putting blocks on the wall semi-randomly.

As usual, I try not to place blocks with the same fabric adjacent to each other, or in the same row or column, and I try to distribute the values, patterns and colors around the quilt.

 This is by no means as easy as it sounds.

After half an hour, I had this. But this was only a place to start. Next was the hard work of editing and rearranging.

Messy, messy work.

 This was one of the twenty-four changes I made.

The blocks very quickly got out of order, and the studio floor got messier.

This was getting really really close.

After tinkering for almost an hour and a half, I had this, or rather Julie and I had this. Julie has been sick for the last ten days or so and I called her up to see how she was doing. We ended up staying on the phone for over two hours while I rearranged blocks, sent pictures to Julie and rearranged some more. I'd notice something I didn't like and Julie and I would talk about it and I'd try something else, and take a picture and we'd look at it again.

This quilt is all about fabrics, and pictures from ten feet away don't show you the details, so here is a closeup of a few of the fabrics.


Remember, the point of this quilt was to use stuff I had in my stash. After I made my blocks, I decided I would NOT cut more fabric, that I would use what I had already made, so that's what I did. It is most definitely a scrap quilt.





6 comments:

Sabine said...

Dear Lynne,
I always enjoy reading your blog posts and following your process but I never comment (my feed reader doesn’t let me do that ��). But today, when your post on said feed reder was followed directly by this one https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/arts/art-no-deal-brexit.html, I just had to make the time to alert you to it. Maybe you have already seen it, but maybe not. Life is funny sometimes.
Let me say how much I love your quilts. They have such clear lines, but so much thought goes into them.
Greetings from Sabine, quilter in Germany (who started quilting in Connecticut a long time ago)

Heather said...

Well, I suppose that what the previous blogger is demonstrating is that the mathematical/geometric problem that you have 'stumbled' across is not something that is new. I can imagine a mathematician saying 'meh'. But I am intrigued by your dedication and creativity in your design regardless of the maths behind it.

I am enjoying how you solve the puzzle … something I don't have the desire or inclination to do … even though I am filled with admiration for your dedication and commitment. Once again, it is the process that engrosses me and I can't wait to see the final outcome. I love it already - 27th or whatever iteration - and look forward so much to seeing the final quilt.

Love your work. I might be tempted to try this one out. But of course, you have done all the work and the original, unique quilt will never be bettered.


Judy Cloe said...

Glad you took out that yellow and green triangle. It was screaming, "I am here! Notice me."

Bambi Pearson said...

I think it's wonderful!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

So many times when I am arranging scrap blocks,I tend to give up, thinking I will never get the balance right, and it will be just fine as it is. You have taught me that I should keep trying, that maybe at some point, I will be able to find a balance that I really like.

Mickey's Musings said...

You put so much work into your quilts.No wonder they look great!
Thanks for sharing the process and the work(and mess) involved.
Nancy and the kitties