Thursday, February 21, 2019

I Do Not Have Rocks In My Head!!!

I really hate it when I can't figure something out. I love to figure things out. Sometimes things just jump out at me and I can see them right away.  There's a particular puzzle a coworker showed me a few years ago. The letters of the alphabet were arranged in a particular way and the thing you had to figure out was where the letter Z was supposed to go. My coworker said I couldn't Google the answer or ask a kid. He must have had a hard time figuring it out. I looked at it, drew my fingertip across the line of letters and got it in less than three seconds. My coworker stood up and walked away, shaking his head. Now please bear in mind there are things I truly suck at, but I keep those under wraps (duh.)

By the way, when I solve a puzzle, I often say to myself "It's nice to know I don't have rocks in my head." (meaning my brain works.)




So it really pissed me off when I kept cutting blocks and was only able to use half of them, and I couldn't seem to get a handle on what was going on.

Well, I have figured it out!

Remember the other day when I showed this photo (above) and said you needed all four of those blocks? I was wrong. Each of the four is different, as you can see above. I have labelled them in the drawing below.


If you want to do the flip-flip-flip thing, which is what I am trying to do...

You need HALF the blocks above. But not the half you think! You need blocks TWO and FOUR (or One and Three, but you can't interchange them).  So when I created this layout above...


I had all these pieces left over (on the right). This perfectly matches what I have in the studio, where I have a ton of these fabric triangles strewn all over the floor.

Now go back to that first diagram and look at where blocks TWO and FOUR are located.

YUP! There ain't no easy (or efficient) way to cut those out. I finally figured out why I kept having trouble and ended up with blocks that were backwards or upside down. (It's how you orient your fabric before you make your first cut.)

The only way you can use all four blocks together is if you do something that doesn't do the flip flip flip, and instead arrange some blocks so the stripes go across each other like this. Or of course you could arrange them arbitrarily, and sixteen million other things, but I was trying to figure out why this damn thing wasn't behaving the way I expected it to. (Translation: I wanted it to flip flip flip on command.)

Now truth be told, my version on the design wall is even more complicated because I don't just have FOUR block variations, I have EIGHT. Remember, some strip pairs have BUSY DARKS and some have BUSY LIGHTS.

Maybe I DO have rocks in my head!!!

Yup, you're gonna be seeing a lot of this in the next few weeks. I can already tell there is more than one of these flipping things in my future.

8 comments:

The Selvage Fairy said...

Well of course there's more than one. You just proved that these things arrive in pairs.

Heather said...

Doesn't this mean that you could have two quilts?

Quilt One: with blocks 2 and 4, and
Quilt Two: with blocks 1 and 3

The hours of arranging would just do me in!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Very interesting and I think your phone photos are dazzling.

Dorothy said...

I love the last photo of the black and white "mock up"---and believe me there are no rocks in your head.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Alternatively you could sew your strip sets adding and additional dark strip and cut the triangles offset and end up with a pair of two different blocks. If that's what you wanted. Those zebras have been in the mushroom field again, I can tell :-)

Debby Gorman said...

The solution is to add another stripe row to the bottom of the one and three blocks, remove the top stripe, and recut the angle. Then your ones become twos and the threes become fours. Time consuming, yes but then you can use all of your blocks.

Millie said...

Debbie and Cherie, sorry but you are both wrong. I will explain why later.

Dyann said...

This all makes the rocks in my head jumble! I am intrigued with your process and the angles that have to be in the right places not to mention the darker strips and the lighter strips......I can't wait for the explanation of the whys that Debbie and Cherie mentioned won't work.......patiently waiting:)