Sunday, September 16, 2018

Dear Lynne, We Don't Remember...

The world can be a funny place. Last week I got this postcard in the mail. I've never been to Montana and I don't know anybody who lives there.


"Dear Lynne, This is from Karen and Al from Oregon... Sorry, we have your name and address in our book but we can't remember who you are or where we met. You must have given us your address for a reason, so we want to do our part and re-connect.." They signed their full names, left their mailing address, email address and a telephone number.

I looked at the card and laughed. I didn't remember them either! Who were these people? The card arrived properly addressed to my new address where I have lived for four years. Although I have family in Oregon, I haven't visited Oregon in almost 10 years. I did a Google search on their address, and looked at the street view of their address. Nope, I had NEVER been there. The couple's name did not ring any bells. I supposed I could have met them at a quilt show somewhere, but although I am not all that great with names, I am pretty sure I would have remembered meeting this couple.

So I started to write an email, but then looked at the clock. It was just after 7 PM or so Oregon time, so I picked up the phone and gave them a call.

They answered right away, and put me on speakerphone. They sounded like a nice couple. After both sides determined our connection was not geographic, I said, "Now, I make quilts, have a blog and sell tutorials on Etsy..." but didn't get any farther than that because Karen interrupted me, "I KNOW! I remember now! I bought your bird tutorial. I couldn't figure out Etsy, so I emailed you and mailed you a check!"

I did remember that, and we embarked on a discussion about quilts and free pieced birds and had a really nice talk. I told them I was going to put their postcard on my inspiration wall in my studio and invited them to visit the next time they came to the East Coast. I received an invitation to meet them should I ever return to Oregon.

I hung up smiling. That was fun. It's always nice to hear from my blog readers and quilters who have bought my tutorials, but to really HEAR from somebody in real life and the sound of their voice, and the joy, well, let's just say that made my day!

13 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I think that is such a sweet idea to reconnect with people on our mailing list. How brave of them to do that with people they don't remember, and what a sweet way to reconnect. Talking to a real person on the other side of the phone is super. Both of you are to be commended for your parts in this sweet story.

Susie Q said...

Makes my day as well..... thanks for sharing.....

Mickey's Musings said...

That is really neat ;)
Sometimes you never know how things turn out :)
Nancy and the kitties

Melanie said...

This made me laugh. I’m an avid snail-mailer and I would totally send correspondence to someone I’ve never met. How cool that Lynne followed up with you even though she couldn’t remember the association. Many (most?) people would have just tossed the address. And I LOVE that you picked up the phone to call. I don’t like talking on the phone so probably would not have been comfortable with that but I love how you took the bull by the horns and got to the bottom of it all. How fun!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is a GREAT story -- totally made my evening when I read it! THANKS for sharing it.

Ann said...

From retail connection to friends. Wonderful.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You are a GREAT person. Most would just blow this off and never take the time to find out who they are. I love this story because I'm pretty sure I would have emailed them. I probably would have not called because I am just not a phone person. After 40 years of having to live on the phone at various jobs, I view the phone as an annoyance now. At least now the couple can make a note in their contacts as to how they know you.

I thought the sentiment on the post card was hilarious.
xx, Carol

Roxanne said...

Love love love this story. The world could use so much more of this kind of connecting. Bless you all for the caring people you are!

Barbara said...

That’s a great story. My husband and I are RVers. We took a trip around the perimeter of the USA last year, and I met up with several blogging friends...friends I’d met blogging, but had never met in person. It was a delight, and so I have some idea what you’re talking about. I love how the internet has brought us closer together, and divided us too, sadly. I choose to focus on the positive in that regard. I’ve blogged for eight years. It’s like writing letters to friends. And, lucky you, one of your friends even sent you a picture postcard!

Alice said...

Thank you for sharing. A new way to connect or reconnect. Warms me.

Chris Mars said...

LOL!! Many years ago, (MANY) when I was a teenager, I heard my mother answer the phone in the kitchen. I was in the living room and didn't hear exactly what she was saying, but she was on the phone for a very looooooong time. I assumed she was talking to her mother or her sister. After an hour and a half, she hung up. I wandered into the kitchen, interested in whatever news had taken an hour and a half to discuss, and asked her who had been on the phone. "Oh," she said, "It was a wrong number." My mother, the only person I have ever known who could talk for 90 minutes to a wrong number! You're right about it being the voice connection that makes the difference.

Melanie said...

Oooops......I see that I said “Lynne” looked you up. Clearly, that should have said “Karen” looked you up. Geez.....need to proofread better. :)

KaHolly said...

That’s quite a story! I enjoyed reading it.