Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The Back of Joyful

 

While listening to the US Open Tennis last week, I added the leftover blocks from the Joyful quilt to this fabric I found for the backing.

The backing fabric wasn't a standard backing fabric - it was about 42" wide, so I sewed the leftover blocks to each length, then sewed the two long lengths together. Yes, I planned for the diagonal stripe to be where they joined.

Here is the quilt lying on top of the backing. I always do this to make sure there is enough fabric all around.

I think it looks great and will make a terrific couch quilt.

I know all retirees say it, but I have been really busy. I cleaned OUT the shed, and the next step was to sort through the stuff I wanted to keep. There were a lot of old rusty tools and extra Christmas ornaments, paint rollers and handles. That's now been sorted, and the good stuff will go back into the shed. The rest is consigned to the trash. (And yes, I already donated several items.)

I spent most of the day yesterday at the mobile carrier I planned to move my cell phone to. I was allowed to port the cell number I have had for over 22 years from my work and keep it. (Lucky me.) 

While the process to DO that was simple, in theory (you can see where this is going), in practice it was a lot more complicated. After about three hours we got it done, and there was MUCH aggravation and going back and forth involved. I'll spare you the details, but that is a nice thing to have done.


I've just finished the most aggravating jigsaw puzzle ever. I don't mind that it was hard, what I minded was that the photo was so small and I couldn't figure out where anything went. I have discovered I have an addiction to these things and I will devote WAY MORE time than I should, even forgoing meals to get these finished, so after I take this one apart and donate it, the puzzle board is going under the couch where it will stay.




4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Joyful looks fabulous! DH spent his whole first year of retirement fixing things around the house and working on waylaid projects that needed finishing. Each one was a big accomplishment and took a nagging item off his list. Good luck as you continue with yours!

Ruth said...

OOhh!! I think I will look for that puzzle for myself. It looks fascinating IF the books have actual understandable titles on them. About the small photo, did you try looking at it with your phone camera and enlarging it with your fingers? Sometimes that helps - or take a picture with your cell phone, email it to yourself and then open the photo on your computer and enlarge it. Maybe print it off larger. I enjoy puzzles - and had to stop doing them for a while also. Thanks for showing this one!

Ruth said...

Second comment: I was able to click on the puzzle picture so it enlarged itself, then I clicked on the area I wanted to see closeup and it worked!! "The Giant Bonsai Tree" Hahahah!! "Defense De Stationner - No Parking" Exact match in words from French to English! What a fun puzzle!

Ruth said...

AHA!! The Ravensburger Bizarre Bookshop 2!! I'm off to buy one for myself!