Friday, September 13, 2024

The Little Blocks

 In July, I started making some little blocks because I was tired of making slabs. I was inspired by the High Five quilt in the book Sunday Morning Quilts. These kept me busy when my son and granddaughter were visiting other family members.

The finished blocks are made log cabin style, and end up being 5 inches square. Naturally I used my scraps and stuff I found in the big bins that need to be sorted and organized.  I cut a bunch of 2" squares of lights to use as the centers.


My DGD seemed unimpressed with the arrangement on the design wall, so I asked her to have a go at it, and this is what she came up with.

I made the blocks in groups of ten. They took about an hour to make and I had some fun with them. I set the project aside to make the Cobblestones quilts.


I started making blocks again last week. With the blocks finishing at 4-1/2" that meant I would need 224 of them to make a quilt about 63" x 72".  I clipped the blocks together in groups of ten.

Oh, one more thing...

There are about five of these double sized blocks throughout the quilt.

This is gonna be fun.

3 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I like this very much. It will be fun to watch it evolve.

Sue said...

Oh! I love the surprise of those larger blocks. Your blog is always an inspiration to me. Your granddaughter’s arrangement of the blocks is great.

Nann said...

I do like the block and look forward to see how you'll set them. (DGD's suggestion is a good starting point.)