Monday, June 12, 2023

The Lighthouse

 

It was pretty clear this lighthouse panel would be the backing of the Fourth of July quilt. But it needed to have fabric added to it to make it big enough.

I had four yards of a fabric I could use, but after doing a lot of math on graph paper, it was clear my four yards wasn't quite big enough. Fortunately I had a piece of fabric that had a water feel to it, so I added strips to the top and bottom of the lighthouse panel.


The fabric I've chosen for the backing is directional, so I had to be careful to cut it properly. I cut two panels and added them to the top and bottom of the lighthouse panel.

Printed panels made great backings, but because they are printed, they don't always line up parallel to the straight of the grain. So I had to trim the edge to be straight. One side of the panel looked fine, but the other was really curved. Fortunately perfection is not required. Yes, these big rulers are used for trimming wallboard, but they are handy for getting long edges straight.


Because reality does not often match what you think, I always line up the fabric where I want it to go, to make sure I have enough. I did, so I started sewing the two long panels to either side.

This looks pretty good. The gingko leaves remind me of clamshells.

Laying the quilt on top of the backing is something I always to do make sure the backing is big enough. It also tells me how the two fit together. It does, and really like it.

This is the reason why I pay attention to the backings of my quilts. It's the back of the quilt that lives on my bed, and my pal Julie made it. Every time I make the bed I get to see the back and how it was put together. Julie has influenced my work in so many ways.

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wow - the influence thing definitely goes both ways! Your back looks great and the whole Fourth of July quilt is going to be totally wonderful!

Quiltdivajulie said...

The influence thing goes both ways (LOL). This is going to be an awesome quilt!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great backing solutions- just not thrown together to get it done.

Peggy said...

Phenomenal!

Karen said...

WoW!
What keeps nagging at me when I see your top photo - the zebra setting would be dynamite as a border. Maybe your motto for the center?
I'll look forward to YOU doing that. Ha!

Karen
on a smaller scale

Ann said...

Good explanation and photos. Like Karen, I first thought the blue and red zebra would frame the lighthouse.

liz said...

Wonderful quilt : )

liz said...

Wonderful Quilt : )