Monday, June 19, 2023

Blue & Yellow

 Late last year I bought some blue and yellow fabrics, intending to make a wonky rail fence quilt. I cut the strips, but didn't get much farther.

In the last few days I sewed the rest of the strops together and cut the blocks.


This is the way they are supposed to be fitted together, but I had an idea to rearrange the pieces.


That was a good idea, but as soon as I started moving the blocks together, I got another idea...

Which was instead of arranging the small units into larger 16-unit blocks, just arrange them in long diagonal lines from one side of the quilt to the other. Of course, this required a little thinking...


To create one long diagonal row, as in my drawing above, requires 32 unit blocks. When I conceived the original quilt, it was 20 blocks - each block having 16 units. I had cut enough fabric for 20 unique blocks.
As if that would stop me!

So I'll be having more than just a little bit of fun with this!

Now that I know where I am going, I took the blocks off the design wall so I would know how many different pairs I had. Turns out I have 26. Since the design wall isn't wide enough for the full quilt design (it's two units too narrow) I need to figure out how I'm going to arrange them. 

In other words, I am PRETTY SURE I know where I am going, but not 100% sure, so I need to do a bit more thinking and tinkering.

Stay tuned!








4 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Yellow and blue always looks great together.......

Sue said...

I’m glad to see you surface again & see what you’ve been up to. I too am a fan of Sujata Shah.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh yes, you are off and running with this!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yellow and blue always remind me of Monet's kitchen. I have a book with the photos and once, I got to see it in person. I love the long diagonal lines in your design.