Friday, June 2, 2023

Oh Lynne, You DIDN'T!

 

I kinda can't believe how perfect this big Jane Sassaman fabric is for the back of the Greensleeves Zebra quilt. My pal Julie gave it to me because she had fallen out of love with it. But when you use yardage like this on the back of a quilt, you have to do the right thing.


You HAVE to sew it together and match the pattern. (Oh Lynne, you DIDN'T) 

OH YES, I DID!


I lined up the two lengths of fabric, and folded the top part over until the pattern matched. Then I pressed it down, unfolded it, pinned the two layers together (because hey, how else do you get the fabric to STAY where you want it to be), drew a line in pencil so I could see it...

and then sewed along the line.

I removed the pins and unfolded the fabric to see if it lined up right. 


It did, so I trimmed the seam and then pressed it open.

ta-da!

Would you know where the seam was if I had trimmed that piece on the right? Probably not. Like many things, this isn't HARD, it's just fussy, and is clearly worth the effort to get it right.

I'll never forget what Chris Ballard said when I sent the Letters From Home quilt to her to be quilted. "I like that you didn't drop the ball on the back." If you're going to put your time into something, do it right.






8 comments:

Nancy J said...

Wow !!!

Julie in GA said...

I love the challenge of matching a print like that. Yours looks fantastic!

NeverBored said...

You are proof it can be done! Your seam is totally invisible. Perfection !

Quiltdivajulie said...

And that fabric remains just as gorgeous as the day I succumbed to its impulse purchase (end of bolt sale - buy all that's left for $5/yard).

Dee W said...

I look at all your different editions of this pattern, this green is the very best! And the back! Be still my beating heart!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the Jane Sassaman fabric!

The Selvage Fairy said...

Pattern matching is SO worth the trouble.

The Selvage Fairy said...

Pattern matching is SOOOO worth the effort.