Friday, August 5, 2022

Twenty

 

I've started sewing the black and white scrap slabs quilt together. Since none of the blocks are sewn together, I start by sewing one white side triangle to a black triangle. I keep the blocks in order while I sew and then press. Then I sew the second side triangle, and then sew the blocks together. 

I started at the top, and since each row is so wide I'd have to move the step ladder back and forth, I decided to sew half a row at a time. This is a completed row, above. I counted all the different fabrics in one of these five block rows (actually when they get to be multi block size, I call them "panels.") and there were 28 different fabrics. I can't even imagine how many different fabrics will be in the whole quilt. But hey, it's a scrap quilt!

Here are the first four rows of five blocks across. The blocks are sewn to each other, but only the two two rows are sewn together.

I am really happy with the way it is turning out. One of the things I wanted was to make the individual block shapes disappear. I'm doing that by placing similar light fabrics next to each other so they almost appear the same, which blurs the edges of the individual blocks. I also throw in a curve ball or two (as usual). In this example it is the white triangle in the bottom row. Instead of two side triangles, this is a full triangle.

This is one energetic quilt (some would call it "busy") but that is what I think is exciting about it. It's got a lot of color, and it's happy.

Works for me!



This is a scrap slab triangle quilt. It's built from scraps. I think it's wicked easy to do, but every time I say that my son rolls his eyes. "BUT MOM...." he says, "you're so good that everything IS easy for you." In this case, he's wrong. This is an easy quilt. You have to pay attention to cutting your blocks and sewing your seams, but hey, what else is new? At any rate, if you want to make a scrap slab triangle quilt you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. You'll need the Tri-Recs ruler set, which you can get at any LQS or Amazon. And scraps. You'll need those, but I'm guessing you do.  Enjoy.



2 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Part of what I had to learn as an art teacher is to understand what is hard for people is hard because they can't see past it. Sometimes it is a learning disability, sometimes a learned behavior or skill, sometimes, they just can't grasp the whole concept. I am like that with numbers. Bit by bit I get it, but the overall comprehension is painful for me. Sometimes, a person with some insight on the problem can help guide someone through it which is what I had tried to do with my students. Some just would not budge or were unwilling to leap through (middle school attitudes). The fabrics you used are just wonderful and varied to make it real fun.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is great, Lynne; the visual impact is terrific. I love reading about the process as you work. Well done!