Thursday, August 18, 2022

Jimmies, Grinders & Tonic

 

I'm from New England, "that small pocket" in the northeastern corner of the US. 

We have different names for things. A submarine sandwich is called a "grinder." Soda or colas can be called "tonic." 

Peggy asked me what "jimmies" were.

When I was growing up, the small (generally brown) rod-shaped candies we sprinkled over ice cream were called "jimmies." In fact, small colored candies of any shape were called jimmies. It hasn't got anything to do with Jim Crow or the Jimmy Fund. Over the years these little sweets have come to be called "sprinkles." So I have had to adapt.

I am sure there are other regional colloquialisms that I use, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Here in New England, our hot dog rolls are split across the top, and when we eat fried or steamed clams that means they have the belly on them (and we think you're a wuss if you don't eat them. Sorry Julie.) Paradoxically, we eat more ice cream here in New England than any other part of the country.


OK, I'm going back to sew.

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Thank you for the explanation, I’m sure here in the south, SC, we have some unusual name too, but being originally from CA I found unusual foods, shrimp and grits, soft shell crabs sandwich , boiled peanuts, just tome a few!

Chookyblue...... said...

So in Oz we call them sprinkles also but to the determine the top from the bottom ones could also be called 100's&1000's and the bottom ones logs.... We can also get chocolate logs..... Nothing quiet like fairy bread either........ Bread, butter and a solid cover of sprinkles.......

Meredith said...

My granddaughter calls the sprinkles on her donut “sparkles”, and now I do, too.

Just Ducky said...

Soft drinks, coke, cola, pop, soda.

Joan said...

You can call your sprinkles whatever you like. This Georgia girl is still trying to recover from the shock of seeing grits in your pantry. :)