Monday, October 4, 2021

A Side Trip

 

This is my bedroom, as seen from the door. I generally don't like walking into a dark room, so I try to turn  a light on when I get home from work.

For whatever reason, my cat Millie has been rather chummy in the evenings lately. She has been coming to ask for scritches after I get into bed. This is not really a problem, except when she starts getting demanding when I want to go to sleep. When she is curled up next to me I can't reach the lamp on the other side of the bed to turn it off. 

What to do?

Then I remembered the remotes

So I placed the order, and when they came in I realized that the light on the right side of the picture plugged into an outlet behind the bookshelf. I needed an extension cord with a flat plug so I could use it of that light, and the one on the bureau. So I went online again, and two days later I have moved everything (and vacuumed behind the bed and the nightstands) and now the lamps on the nightstands work with a remote along with the lamp on the bureau and one other all work with a remote control. In fact there are TWO controls, one that will live near my bed, and the other will live on the bookcase beside the door. So now when it is dark in the house, I don't have to blunder into the room in the dark. I can reach onto the bookcase, and click the button to turn on any one of the five lamps in the area.

And I can do it from the bed too.


All because I don't want to disrupt my cat.

 

Go ahead, laugh.

13 comments:

Nancy J said...

No I will NOT laugh as I have been doing something so similar for years. Leave making the bed, leave my jacket or dressing gown there, save the tastiest piece of chicken meat, stay at the vet's clinic when they get treatment, but the lights, that is a whole new level, and I know who will be So happy at your new system. Purrs all round.

Mickey's Musings said...

No laughing here.
It seems we all do out of our way to please the cat(Julie)!
I wouldn't have i any other way!

Megan said...

I'm not laughing either. It's a pity she doesn't know and won't, therefore, express her appreciation!

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Poppy Q said...

Good plan Lynne. I find Miss Pops gets snuggly and then I too have to turn the light off. Is Miss Millie feeling the cold as you head towards winter?

stitchinpenny said...

Not laughing. Been there done that. My husband built a mechanical cat feeder for the stray cats we had neutered after someone gifted the neighborhood with their whole male and he created an army of babies. We took at least 12 in to be neutered. Paul created his feeder because at that time we traveled alot. It is a screw fed timed by a sprinkler wonder of engineering but best of all it works. There is only one cat surviving for our roundup. At the beginning of the pandemic we got a young very hungry cat showing signs of starvation and neglect. He is still here. Cats know how to manipulate us.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for remotes! They make life so much easier. Good job,Millie. You helped your mom more than you know.

Just Ducky said...

Ducky approves of your accomodation to Miss Millie for her comfort. She is the one whose comfort is most important.

Robin said...

This cheered me up. I needed something to smile about.

Susan said...

I love this!

Michele in Harrisburg said...

I am laughing (but with you) because I cater to my cat, too. There's something about the privilege of their trust that makes it worth the trouble. Always. 😊

POLLYS POCKETS said...

I had no idea there are remotes for lamps! I use battery operated candles...well not intentionally. I have a fear of candles lit with a flame, I like to light a candle for friends who are dealing with health issues. Currently there are 8 going... I love the warm glow they give. They are on timers, I am asleep when they go off, I wake the the sun, not by choice, by 3 dogs in varying urgency to get outside!

Deb E said...

I would be the last to laugh! We bought our last couple of cars & house based on what our dogs needed (which incidentally also works for us as we're seniors). They have that look of reproach when you disappoint them (for not doing what they want) that works every time...and they really ask for very little. I'm going to keep your idea in mind, just in case! Deb E

QuiltGranma said...

Just who does NOT cater to their cats? If she or he is sleeping or comfortable in some part of our home who are we to disturb them? We are just their servants.