Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Picking Up the Proverbial Pencil

 

I've been kind of "blah" the last couple of weeks. The studio needs cleaning, and I'm just not in the mood. I don't really want to do the work I should be doing (preparing backings for a couple of quilts). 

 I've done another jigsaw puzzle, I've watched a bunch of TV. I've gotten into the NY Times Crossword Puzzles. Nothing has excited me.

I even spent an afternoon sewing fabric scraps together (recognize these?) and then cutting them apart into scrap slab triangles. (see top photo.) But still blah.

I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO DO...

I have to get in there and PICK UP THE PENCIL... (go read that blog post I wrote in 2012)

I just have to Get. To. Work.

I knew I had a bin of scrap slab triangles somewhere - I just had to find it. I finally did, and tossed some up on the design wall. Totally nothing spectacular. I've done enough rainbow quilts. Been there, done that, don't need to go there again. But it was something to tinker with.
 

Years ago in one of my classes, my students discovered this sort of W shape, made by lining up five triangles in a particular way. I thought it would be fun to play with, so I tried that.

I played around a bit more, then thought I might like it better sideways, so I rotated a picture...

Yup, this has potential, and it has peaked my interest. I'll be playing around with these more in the next few days (and OF COURSE) I have to make more blocks (gee, where have you heard that before?)

I had always wondered what a scrap slab triangle quilt would look like if I didn't use any side triangles. I guess I'm about to find out.


You can get my Scrap Slab Tutorial here, in my Etsy shop. It's an instant download so you can get started right away.




7 comments:

Kathy said...

Rotated and in color groups of 5 triangles---very, very attractive! And such a surprise that you need to make more blocks! HA! How's this for a suggestion--stop making more blocks and make this a smaller, baby size quilt. It gets your mojo going again, and gets your mind ready for a new big project!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lots of us have been languishing these past few weeks/months - good for you for finding a project that has engaged your creative attention. For me it is the blue/white project and tidying up closets/the studio/the pantry/etc. I'm trying hard to stay away from the news . . .

Just Ducky said...

You have the late summer blahs, me too. Don't want to read, crochet or even do much yard work. Just want to chill out and do not much of anything.

Unknown said...

i realy like all your puzzles

Ruth said...

Oh, those Ws look so interesting!!

Gail N said...

I love that puzzle! I immediately thought of what a great quilt (and great challenge) that image would be. Re the triangles, I found myself thinking they might be interesting as the border for a quilt. Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

Mystic Quilter said...

It's good to see your new design with lots of colour. I think many of us here in New Zealand have been plodding along quite nicely, now we have the Delta strain and are in full lockdown, I intended to make the most of the time by quilting but so far achieved nothing!!