Monday, July 19, 2021

Stitched Up, Out of my Mind

 

Last week, when I was wrestling with the sewing machine dilemma, I knew the pink quilt, as I had designed it, would be too narrow. It would only be about 52" wide, and if you've ever tried wrapping yourself up in something that isn't big enough to cover you when you're cold, then you get it. Back then I figured the solution was simple - just add another vertical row of blocks to one side of the quilt. 

So Saturday evening, I did just that. I worked it all out, cut the blocks as I needed them, paired them up and pinned them into place. On Sunday I would start sewing the blocks together into horizontal rows and I'd be good to go.

Except.

Take a look at the photo at the top of this post.

On the left side, there is now half a diamond, or a pinwheel. Looks dumb. I can't add only one vertical row of blocks. I have to add TWO.

Like this, above. Now I have eight full diamonds running across the top.

This damned quilt is laughing at me, like Loki or Kokopelli, the trickster gods of mythology. I thought I might name the quilt Kokopelli, but I decided to look up trickster gods, and then I discovered a list of trickster characters in the arts that included something very famous and very pink. A trickster if ever there was one.


The Pink Panther.


And so this quilt has been named.

6 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, it looks terrific. And it will be better wider even thogh it meant 2 more long columns. In the end, you will get the last laugh.

Mari said...

Beautiful quilt top. I love pink and this is fabulous. The name is perfect, but will you think of Peter Sellers every time you use it? :)

Just Ducky said...

Good name! Purrs to Miss Millie.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great name - going to be a marvelous quilt!

PamelaK said...

HA...You are not alone...I have indeed had quilts "laugh" at me from time to time! I must say that I LOVE the scrappiness of this quilt. Scraps are one of my favorite themes in quilts and you have done yours justice! Keep on quilting and sharing!

QuiltGranma said...

Pink Panther, great name!