Thursday, June 17, 2021

She Likes It!

 

This is J, who's been cutting my hair for over 32 years. I've told her about my cat Millie, my blog, my quilts, my tutorials... everything. After all this time I consider her a good friend. Good friends deserve quilts.

When I went in last night she saw my big bag. "Did you bring a quilt to show me?" she asked. 

"No, I brought a quilt to GIVE you."

"YOU'RE KIDDING."

Nope. We unfolded the quilt, careful not to let it touch the floor and pick up any stray hairs (If you don't know, you can get a sliver from a piece of hair. It's worse than a wood sliver, and harder to find to remove.) "OMIGOD, It's GORGEOUS. I LOVE IT."

Naturally I had to ask a zillion times if she really did, if the colors were OK. J was thrilled, and said repeatedly that she would USE the quilt.

I had created a PDF file of the story of the quilt, and copied it along with all the photos of the quilt I took while I was making it and a copy of the Zebra tutorial to a flash drive for her so she could study them all when she had time. "All quilts have a story," I told her, "and now you will know the story of this one." I also included a box of Color Catchers, which I give whenever I gift a quilt.

What was really funny (to me) was I had decided to gift the quilt to J several weeks ago, but didn't have enough time to complete the binding before my monthly appointment. So I sat there while she cut my hair, holding in the secret that NEXT TIME...

It shouldn't, but every time I gift a quilt it always surprises me how good I feel afterward.

5 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

What a wonderful gift for a person whose been in your life for over 30 years! Isn’t it amazing how great it feels to gift a quilt to someone who appreciates it? Well done you :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like Cherie said!

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a neat story! She must know your head better than anyone else. Giving away a quilt gives the giver back even more.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is wonderful, Lynne; she gave you the highest compliment when she told you that she'll USE IT! 30 years??! That's the best compliment that you can give her (besides the quilt, of course!)that you've stayed with her for three decades. Thank you for sharing! :)

O'Quilts said...

This is a wonderful post!!!!!!