Monday, June 21, 2021

Pins, Pins, Boring, Boring Pins...

 

I finished adding the binding to the Yellow Ribbons quilt, and now I have pinned it to the front all around. YES! I use a zillion pins. These are about 1-1/4" apart.

I start sewing my binding about a foot or so away from a corner. I sew right to left, so this photo was taken at the very beginning of my stitching the binding down. I do it this way so that when I have turned the fourth corner I am well and truly in the "home stretch."

All I sewed was to the corner, then around it. I'll work on it more later. I spread 14 bags of mulch around the front of my house over the weekend, and all parts of my body are stiff and sore.

I brought my dad to my house on Father's Day and we had a steak dinner. The guy is 89, and he needs a cane to get around and he doesn't hear very well, but there is NOTHING WRONG with his appetite. (He went on to clean his plate, and finish what was left of the platter.) It's always gratifying to cook for somebody who enjoys your cooking. He hasn't lost his sense of style, either. We had a good afternoon.



(And no, you aren't seeing things. He lost the tips of two fingers to his table saw a few years ago... Yeah, I know.)





6 comments:

Chrysanthemum said...

I’m a kindred spirit. I love doing the hand sewing the binding on the front side. Why hide it on the back? When I hand quilt my quilts with a big stitch then I also do that stitch on the binding. Love checking in to see what you are piecing and quilting.

Just Ducky said...

Happy Belated Dad's Day to your Dad. Nice that you still have him around to cook for.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Enjoy the binding time as your body recovers from the yard work. And like JustDucky said re: your dad!

Mari said...

Great picture of your dad. My first thought when I saw his shirt was "that looks like it belongs in one of Lynne's quilts." Ha! My dad is 81 and still eats like a teenage boy. It's how they stay yound at heart! :)

Jill said...

I saw his hand waving and knew he was a craftsman! Carpentry and quilts...measure twice and cut once. Glad you were able to celebrate with him.

QuiltGranma said...

One of the hazards of being a Crafts MAN... losing finger tips, hearing, getting lungs full of whatever they are cutting or spraying... BUT you still have him around to hear his stories, and spend time with him. Love that you still have that.