Saturday, May 29, 2021

Lady Snaps

I had the idea to make another Snaps quilt for my dad's friend, the lady priest. Here are some pictures of previous iterations of the Snaps quilts.

This is Blue Topaz, the baby quilt I made when my son & DIL told me they were expecting.
 


This is Ola Pola, a quilt I made a year earlier and ended up giving to my friend Daniela.

It came from this book, except I rejiggered the size of the pieces so they would be easier for me to cut. So I think, how did I cut the blocks when I made these back in 2015 and 2016. I should have written the details in my notebook, don't you think?

Not really. Kinda sorta, but not really. There look to be two versions here. Which one did I use? Let's look at the next page...

Not much more help, but it does make me think I worked out the blocks to be 6" x 8". Still not sure, I decided to make a couple.

That confirmed it. The one on the left is 6-1/2" x 8-1/2".

My idea is to make a happy, colorful quilt with alternating blocks of lightish big florals with brightly colored centers and blendish blocks of rainbow colors with creamish center blocks. (Haven't got quite that far yet.) I know I've met this woman, but it was a long time ago. I remember her as being very nice with a big heart. I figure somebody like that will love a happy quilt filled with colors and flowers, so that is what I am going to make.

I grabbed these colored florals on lightish backgrounds. We'll see what happens when they get to the design wall. I do not edit myself at this stage. Yes, you can see a couple of dinosaur fabrics. I think they are fun. And there is a cat print, and a print of children from all over the world, and the really observant amongst you will see the fabric with the bras, and I just think that is way to funny to leave out. There are more fabrics, however...

As you can see I cut out a bunch of fabric already. I don't know if I have enough to use each big print only once (don't think so), but no matter. I will worry about that when it's time to lay out the blocks.

So that is the current sewing project.


The Really Big Thing in my life going on right now is I am going to be working at the office starting on Tuesday, so I have been packing. I am eager to see my friends and get back out in the world. I am under no illusions that Covid-19 is going away any time soon, so I intend to continue to protect myself and take precautions. I have a box of disposable masks that will come with me, along with some antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer. I am pretty sure I won't get a whole hell of a lot done on my first day back (I am planning to bring a cake to share), and I know there will be an adjustment, but I am ready.








5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Be safe going back to work. I'm considered an essential worker so have worked this whole time. Jus keep masking up buttercup :-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely quilting as always here, Lynne. I love to read about your thoughts as you make your quilty decisions. Here in Ontario we are trying to open up again but numbers are still bad, I think. Please do take all the precautions you can and enjoy the comaraderie of work mates again.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The rules here have relaxed A LOT but we are still wearing our masks when we go out. Surprisingly I am seeing far more people WITH masks than without and it isn't because all of them are not yet vaccinated. Hope the move back to the office goes well (and I LIKE what you are planning for this next quilt).

Robby said...

This is looking lovely already. Wishing you a positive and safe transition back to the office. We're at no masks required unless the business requires them. Frankly, virtually everyone I see is wearing them inside public places. One of the side effects of living in a science oriented community.

Just Ducky said...

Lovely colors and fabrics. Yeah, the mask goes with me always. If it is crowded I am likely to wear a mask for my protection. Like the large grocery store that I only go in every few months.